Sweden has always been a fairly liberal country. It is a place that has always been straightforward when it comes to sex education and sexual norms and where people are encouraged to be themselves, comfortable and happy in their own skin. This is, of course, particularly the case in cities. As in other countries, cities in Sweden are melting pots of culture; they’re places where every niche is represented and everyone can find a place where they fit in. As Sweden’s capital, Stockholm is its best example of a city with liberal norms and progressive ideas about what is fun, what is cool and what is socially acceptable.
Not everyone goes with the flow
There have, though, been times when the people of Stockholm have not been universally accepting of an idea and where people have questioned whether something should exist or be on display.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A recent example is the subway art by Liv Stromquist, which featured a variety of cartoon images, including women menstruating, and hairy men. Many in Stockholm felt that it was a striking and thought-provoking art installation.
Others were not so sure, with some feeling it was too graphic and inappropriate. Stockholm might often be presented as some sort of hip, progressive and cool hive mind, but not everyone is in agreement on all things.
A naked club, about more than just no clothes
A new example of this phenomenon has sprung up recently in Sweden’s capital and that is ‘Club Naket’ which translates to ‘Club Naked,’ a new club in the hipster area of Sodermalm which is certainly dividing opinion. The basic idea behind it is that, if you are willing to go in naked, then you are allowed to come in for free.
Of course, no one has to go in naked; it is everyone’s free choice, and there is no pressure put on you to go in unclothed – however, the incentive is there. The club plays pounding and exciting electronic and techno music and is as much about being free of inhibitions and worries as it is about being free of clothing.
We spoke to one of the club owners, Joakim Äbb. He runs it alongside Linus Nyström, Damien Eie and Eddie Eneqvist. He explained that the idea came when they were hosting another club night, also in Sodermalm. The hugely popular Club Vaket used to cause queues round the block – such was its popularity, and the guys behind it wanted to capitalize on that momentum. Äbb also feels that “Stockholm’s nightlife, in general, is desperately in need of an update, so we decided to do it ourselves.”
A place for all
Äbb notes, “We wanted to flirt with the concept [behind Club Vaket] hence the names being similar, and so we created a new concept but in the same venue.” They want to keep the great music, the relaxed atmosphere and the free-spirited vibe, but also want to add something new, a twist, that would make it both the talk of the town and something unique and different from other clubs.
That is where the idea of the nakedness comes from, but as the owners are clear to point out, it’s not just about taking your clothes off. Äbb states, “We want people to be able to dress however they like, come nude if you want, but not just bodily but also mentally.” It is a place to leave your worries at the door and where everyone should feel comfortable.
A place with a vision
In describing its vision, the team says it wants to “create an oasis for those who are more open-minded, so that people will dare to be more comfortable in themselves and how they express themselves.” In essence, then, it hopes to be – like the best parts of the city that it is in – accepting and warm, and a place where people can just be who they want to be.
The team has an active Facebook profile where you can send them messages for ideas, comments and questions about the club. The owners are always happy to hear from people who have ways of making the club more open, fun and inclusive.
They have worked hard to make it a place that is free from any prejudice. Äbb feels that there are still several issues with Stockholm’s nightlife where people feel insulted or struggle because of the way they are dressed, and that their club hopes to stop that. He notes, “Being open-minded and respectful to people in your surroundings is something every club owner should strive for,” and that is the environment they want to foster.
Not for everyone
However, while this sounds like a lovely idea, some worry that, in practice, there might well be some issues. One of them is that people might feel financially pressured and decide to take their clothes off because they don’t want to pay to get in, rather than from any sense of freedom.
A church in the area has been particularly critical, arguing that, “You cannot have a place where everything is allowed and anyone can come in.” The pastor of Sodermalms Church also argued that the club may lead to “people’s souls getting broken.” Clearly, then, they are not fans of the concept.
A success so far
However, it seems like the attendees are happy. Each of the six events that have been held so far, on Saturdays near Skanstull Metro Station, have been very popular and the queues round the block have returned.
Äbb tells us, “I’m still stunned by how great our fifth night went,” and that, “people seem to really enjoy what we’ve done so far.” He also made clear that, apart from the Church, they have not had any negative comments and have loved “getting the feedback we need to get even better.”
While it might not be everyone’s cup of tea, the idea behind Club Naket, to create an oasis where people are comfortable, is one that seems noble and hopefully one that does manage to make people feel happier in themselves.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.