As winter descends on Stockholm and residents begin to spend more and more time inside, the search for a ‘mysig’ (cosy) spot begins. First, as autumn comes in, signs begin to spring up advertising a ‘hostmysigt’ (autumn-cosiness) atmosphere, next it’s ‘julmysigt’ (Christmas-cosiness) and finally ‘vintermysigt’ (winter-cosiness). ‘Mysig’ can be translated to ‘cosy’ – but it’s so much more than that for Swedes.
It is relatively similar to the Danish idea of ‘hygge’ – that perfect combination of a comfortable space with a feeling of calmness and warmth. It’s a bit like that feeling you get when you’re in front of a fire; warm and relaxed. Or the sense of joy from having fun with your friends.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A drink can be mysig, a blanket can be mysig, a meal can be mysig and a place can absolutely be mysig. As the days grow darker, Swedes flock to spots in Stockholm that can offer this feeling. They don’t necessarily have to be small or old-fashioned, they just need to give you that sense of happiness and ease. Here are our favourite spots.
Awarded the crown of Stockholm’s best cheap restaurant by newspaper Dagens Nyheter, 800 Grader is one of Stockholm’s premier pizza places. Located in the northern part of the city right by Odenplan t-bana station, 800 Grader prides itself on creating simple but delicious wood-fired pizzas. The name means ‘800 degrees’ because that is the temperature their pizzas are baked at, and the restaurant is very welcoming and convivial. With three long tables inside, everyone sits together and, as the kitchen is open, you can see your food being made. There is nothing quite as satisfying as a warm delicious pizza when the snow is falling outside.
800 Grader, Sigtunagatan 17, Stockholm, Sweden, +46 8408 205 70
Ma Baker is a quaint café in Southern Stockholm and it derives its mysigness from the fact that it feels like a real community spot. It’s in the main square in the small district of Karrtorp and one of the first things you notice as you walk in is a cabinet filled with mugs reserved for people who come in regularly. During the day they serve all manner of warm drinks, as well as freshly baked bread and other sweet treats. Often you’ll be able to see them making the baked goods in their open kitchen. On Thursday and Friday nights they stay open until late and serve tapas along with beer and wine.
Ma Baker, Kärrtorpsplan 7, Stockholm, Sweden, +46 76118 24 85
Knut is a restaurant and bar that predominately serves classic Northern Swedish food, which is perfect for a warming winter treat. They have delicious cauliflower soup, lovely moose steak and even braised leg of reindeer, all of which can help warm you up and fight the winter blues. The dining area, with its eclectic mix-and-match furniture, feels as much like a home as it does a restaurant, giving it a special and cosy atmosphere. It’s also right in central Stockholm, making it easy to find and get to by public transport.
Resturang Knut, Upplandsgatan 17, Stockholm, Sweden, +46 830 40 57
An appealing neighbourhood bar just up the road from Hotel Rival, Morfar Ginko means ‘Grandfather Ginko’ and it certainly feels like the kind of place where friends become family. The fact that it’s not the biggest place, coupled with its regular events like quizzes, make it a place very conducive to meeting people and leaving with more friends than when you arrived. When you enter Morfar Ginko you can sense it’s a place where you can relax and be yourself.
Morfar Ginko, Swedenborgsgatan 13, Stockholm, Sweden, +46 8641 13 40
Stepping into Indigo is like stepping into a friend’s living room rather than into a trendy bar in Stockholm’s Sodermalm. It’s a cosy and comfortable spot for drinks, with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. They serve excellent cocktails as well as play great music. It’s also set just off one of Stockholm’s busiest shopping streets, Gotgatan, so you can grab a cosy new jumper and then enjoy the warmth of Indigo’s lovely staff to multiply the mysigness quotient.
Indigo Café, Götgatan 19, Stockholm, Sweden,+46 8643 58 59
Skroten is a rather rare combination of a café and a boat shop. Located on the beautiful island of Djurgarden, both its food and its décor give it the kind of feel that makes it a mysig spot. Inside, the interior is decorated with a variety of different nautical items, with life jackets hanging from the ceiling, lights from old ships on the shelves and vintage furniture. It doesn’t feel like any other café in Stockholm. The menu includes hearty and warming soups, as well as hot, baked treats.
Skroten, Beckholmsbron 14, Stockholm, Sweden, +46 70380 80 80
Gamla Stan, Stockholm’s old town, in general is a rather mysig place. Its narrow streets and historical buildings transport you back in time and Fem Sma Hus runs with this theme. Located in a 17th-century cellar and partially lit with candles, visiting Fem Sma Hus is an exquisite dining experience. It serves a mixture of French and Swedish cuisine and even has a banquet room you can rent out. Their winter menu is designed to warm and enliven the palate and help you forget about the cold outside.
Fem Sma Hus, Nygränd 10, Stockholm, Sweden, +46 810 87 75
Stepping into a book shop can be like stepping out of the real world and into a special place filled with exciting and enjoyable opportunities for escapism. Certain book shops can enhance this, making it feel as if you’re looking through someone’s personal collection rather than into an overly organised and purely commercial enterprise. Alfa Antikvariat has shelves overflowing with different books, with all kinds of little nooks and crannies to explore. It has books in a variety of languages and you can always call beforehand to check their stock, if there is a particular item you would like. It’s the kind of place you can go into for five minutes and happily still find yourself in two hours later.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.