The world’s first virtual holiday is here – and it’s taking us to the Arctic for four days. Welcome to the future. Culture Trip shows you how to get involved.
Praise be for technology during the Covid-19-induced standstill the world finds itself in. The familiar faces of friends and family are but one tap away, and we can do our food shopping from the couch. We can also stay curious about the world around us and the experiences that are yet to come.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pushing the possibilities of technology even further, visual travel experts Virtually Visiting are now inviting people to join a four-day holiday to the Arctic region of Swedish Lapland. And it’s completely free. As it’s high-quality, unedited, 360-degree, 5K footage, virtual-reality (VR) goggles are the best way to immerse yourself in the experience. If you don’t have VR goggles, then a computer or phone will work equally as well. Just try not to get distracted.
What will you see in the Arctic?
It all begins 144km (89mi) north of the Arctic Circle at Kiruna. Guests will arrive at the Icehotel – the first and largest property, complete with art exhibition, made from ice and snow. Before it closes its doors for the season – in other words, when it melts, as it does each year in April – a guide will talk you through the various designs of the carved-ice rooms and explain how it all comes together using the frozen water in the river beside the hotel. Once your tour is over, you’re free to roam around at your leisure.
On day 2, travel 250km (155mi) south to Lassbyn. Here you’ll meet a local guide behind the Aurora Safari Camp to join on a snowmobile adventure through the Swedish wilderness. You’ll visit two spectacular frozen lakes and learn all about the region’s fauna and flora as you wander through the forests. Using your imagination to smell the flowers is key to the experience.
On day 3, the pace is a bit more relaxed, with a personal tour of the world-famous Treehotel. Built among the towering pine trees of northern Sweden, this hotel is usually booked up well in advance, but on this occasion, you can jump the queue. The tour will teach you the history of this architecturally stunning build, before guiding you around four of the seven treetop rooms.
The trip wraps up with a bit of adventure. Head east 90km (56mi), to the wilderness around Krokträsk. Your vehicle? A team of huskies from Yellow Snow Husky Tours. You’ll be able to take away the knowledge of how to harness a team of huskies in preparing for the journey across the frozen landscape – if you should so need it.
When is the first holiday?
The first trip starts on Saturday, 18 April and end on Tuesday, 21 April, with experiences lasting up to 23 minutes. However, there will be more. Visit www.virtuallyvisiting.com to stay up to date.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.