For centuries the remote island of Hamneskär, off the west coast of Sweden, was thought to be uninhabitable. Its fearsome reputation was forged by countless shipwrecks on its dangerous reefs, but now a group of entrepreneurs have turned the island’s isolation into its biggest selling point.
The island is best known for its cast-iron lighthouse, one of the most famous off-shore landmarks in the world. In fact, it’s so famous that many people only know the island by the name of the lighthouse itself.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The windswept structure has stood tall since 1868, aiding ships as they navigate the treacherous waters around Hamneskär. Many sailors would utter the Lord’s Prayer – Pater Noster in its original Latin – as they approached the shore and the name has stuck, both in reverence to the souls who survived a visit here as well as those who didn’t.
Generations of lighthouse keepers and their families have lived on the island since then, and now you can enjoy a stay at Pater Noster too. The luxury hotel has adopted the name of the island’s most iconic feature with an experienced team including entrepreneurs, hoteliers, professional sailors and designers creating a concept that is fast becoming one of the most desirable places to stay in Scandinavia.
Erik Nissen Johansen is one of several partners in this project. He is the founder of award-winning design practice Stylt, which is part of the team behind this spectacular destination. “We have been open this summer and now we are shifting the operation towards the private group’s incentives and businesses, like renting the whole island for yourself,” Johansen says.
That’s right, you can rent the entire island and create the ultimate private getaway.
Pater Noster is accessible via Rib (rigid inflatable boat) or helicopter, with the nearest major town 5mi (8km) away on the island of Marstrand. Gothenburg is the closest city with an international airport, and is itself only 25mi (40km) from Pater Noster. The island has been popular with history buffs and architecture enthusiasts in the past, but it’s rare to visit Hamneskär in person.
Once on the island, visitors can try deep-sea fishing, sailing, kayaking and even attempt to cook whatever you might catch in the ocean. The lighthouse itself also offers a peaceful spot for meditation if rest and relaxation are what you’re after.
With nine bedrooms, the hotel can accommodate 18 guests and features a restaurant and a summer café. Local food and home-cooked meals are the order of the day, with seaweed in all its forms on every menu. There’s also a bar that operates as part of the accommodation.
All the interiors are heavily-influenced by the history and heritage of the location. Wood-panelled ceilings, shipping motifs and authentic furniture are a strong part of the design throughout.
Sweden is famous for its innovative use of space and architecture to create incredible places to stay. Check out Culture Trip’s guide to the spectacular Treehotel and Stockholm’s best boutique hotels to find out more.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.