The setting for Romeo and Juliet and the home of an ancient Roman theatre hosting epic operas, Verona is a city for lovers. No surprise, then, that it’s crammed with tiny wine bars and swish cocktail spots that are perfect for a cosy drink for two.
The Veneto is Italy’s largest wine-producing region, responsible for household names like Valpolicella, Soave and, of course, Prosecco. And with Verona at the region’s heart, it’s not hard to find an enoteca (wine bar) or osteria (budget, local eatery) with a decent selection of vino. There are also numerous cocktail bars and pubs selling craft beer, catering to the many tourists that come here in pursuit of romance, opera and good eating. You’ll find the highest concentration of drinkeries amid the maze of streets that form the atmospheric old town. Here are the top bars in Verona, Italy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Antica Bottega del Vino is one of the oldest wine bars in Verona. In the 16th century, it was called the Osteria lo Scudo di Francia, taking its name from the street you’ll find it on today. The current wine list runs to almost 200 pages, covering a broad spectrum from cheap-and-cheerful house reds to eye-wateringly expensive champagnes. The knowledgeable sommeliers will help you find your way, and recommend something spectacular to go with your meal if you choose to dine in.
Perched on the banks of the Adige, the terrace of this riverside bar enjoys one of the best views in Verona. It overlooks the Ponte Pietra, built by the Romans over 2,000 years ago, and San Pietro Castle across the river. Heaters and blankets make it a year-round space, but arrive early to bag a spot as seats are limited. Latecomers will have to settle for inside, but with comfortable leather benches scattered beneath a glam chandelier, it’s not much of a sacrifice.
This traditional osteria in the old town has long been a favourite of artists, students and musicians, who spread out on the sunny terrace come summertime and squeeze inside when the weather is chilly. The extensive wine list is chalked up on a blackboard. If you like it fizzy, boost your bubbly bragging rights by ordering a glass of crisp, floral Durello as the locals do, rather than your usual Prosecco. There’s often live music, particularly mellow jazz.
As hard to find as it should be, this intimate speakeasy is tucked down a quiet side street near the river with just a small brass plaque beside the door announcing that you’ve arrived. It’s worth the search: this bar claims that it’s the cure for everything. Pace yourself if you plan to tackle the lengthy cocktail list, or else you’ll be looking for a cure for your sore head the next morning.
Close to the football stadium, this sports bar stakes its reputation on its beer. It has the lot: porter, bitter, IPA, lager and pretty much every other kind you can think of (except for decent non-alcoholic options). This is the place to come to if you like a game on the telly, rock music blaring from the speakers and no-frills pub grub on the menu – plus endlessly poured pints.
Meticulously crafted cocktails are the star attraction at this sophisticated place in the trendy Veronetta district. Elegant decor creates a contemporary vibe that’s worth dressing up for – so it’s a great spot for a date, too. The menu changes periodically to reflect the seasons: gløgg injects some Christmas spirit, for instance, while summer specials include sunripened local veg. Sometimes there’s live music, but it’s never so loud that it intrudes on those romantic conversations.
This dinky place in the old town is a bit of a squeeze, but it’s worth the crush to sample its craft cocktails and beers. A preference for unusual mezcals, obscure bitters and independent whiskies characterises the menu, all to the backdrop of a handful of tables shoehorned between floor-to-ceiling shelves, creaking under the weight of wine bottles. If all the seats are taken, you can always prop up the counter to watch the animated mixologists work their magic.
This Veronese institution has been a fixture on the Piazza delle Erbe since 1901. Old school never went out of fashion in this café-bar, where impeccable service and attention to detail are still highly prized. While the counter’s ideal for a quick coffee, it’s a real treat to sit outside overlooking the square for a leisurely aperitivo. Switch up your usual Aperol spritz for their signature Filippini, which blends vermouth, gin, lemon and ice.
Find the perfect place for your trip to Verona by booking one of the city’s best hotels now through Culture Trip. Explore more whilst you’re there and take a look at the top things to see and do in the city of Shakespeare’s greatest romance. After a long day of sightseeing, spend an evening dining at one of Verona’s best restaurants before heading to the bars. Extend your Italian adventure by visiting not-so-far-away Venice. Book a beautiful boutique hotel and explore the best of what the floating city has to offer.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Mary Jane Dempsey.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.