It’s no surprise that Verona, the setting to Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, is a popular destination for a romantic getaway. Regardless, whether you’re looking to escape into the nearby hills or join in the bustle of the city centre – with a loved one, friends, family or solo – there’s a great hotel waiting for you. Here’s our guide to the top hotels in Verona – bookable now with Culture Trip.
Taking inspiration from the real and imagined history of Verona, the Grand Hotel Des Arts delivers a stay immersed in the city’s cultural heritage. The hotel is located in an upscale neighbourhood that blends Verona’s past and present – from nearby designer shops to the Roman amphitheatre. The unison of old and new continues in the hotel itself, where traditional decor and a peaceful inner courtyard meet vibrant modern details and a lounge bar specialising in avant-garde cocktails.
If you enjoy historical architecture when sightseeing but less so when sleeping, ARK Hotel is your perfect Verona stay. Sleek, super contemporary rooms are a lesson in minimalism, and are dressed almost entirely in white with accents of vivid colours. The hotel’s location on the Adige River also gives a sense of light and openness, and breakfasts are delectable in both quantity and quality.
Uncover the real Verona at the Hotel Milano & Spa. Take a city sightseeing tour on that quintessential Italian mode of transport, the Vespa, or discover the gourmet delights of Northern Italy in a cooking class with a local chef – all part of the hotel’s curated experiences. Back inside, modern luxe interiors offer a luxurious respite from the city streets, but the real jewel in the hotel’s crown is the Arena Sky Rooftop Bar and Restaurant – where you can drink and dine with vistas of the ancient Roman arena.
Is there a more famous balcony than the one where Juliet calls for her Romeo? At the Hotel Aurora, you’re just steps away from this famous spot. Eighteen authentically decorated guest rooms look out over the hotel gardens and the terrace offers breakfast with a side of sweeping city views. The Romanesque Basilica di San Zeno Maggiore – where Romeo and Juliet supposedly conducted their secret marriage – is also just outside the hotel door.
Elegant modernity meets Roman opulence at the Hotel Mastino. Located just next to Verona’s Roman arena, guests can rest easy in contemporary rooms and delve into the history of the area with a trip to the Roman-inspired Paradise spa, set just 150m (492ft) from the main hotel building. Regional delicacies are on offer at breakfast, so make sure you have a good meal before you head out to explore Verona.
This modern, comfortable hotel offers practical rooms for all types of guests, and is a great choice for anyone from business travellers to families. A 24-hour bar allows for refreshments on your own time and the hotel comes complete with a secure car park and extensive buffet breakfast. Located next to Verona’s main railway station, the Sole Hotel Verona is an ideal option when combining your visit to Verona with a longer Italian adventure.
If you’re continuing your Italian trip, why not visit Venice; choose a boutique hotel or opt for a place to stay for those on a budget – now bookable via Culture Trip. Sit and drink in Venice’s bars or head to Bologna to explore its must-visit attractions and historic museums.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Additional reporting by Lorna Turnbull.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.