Tuscany is home to a rich culinary culture based on fresh produce, hearty meats and delicious wines. With so many ingredients to choose from, chefs in this region are inspired to produce dishes that are a fusion of tradition with updated innovation. From farm-to-table establishments to modern places in urban spaces, the following is our guide to the top 10 restaurants in Tuscany.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The stylish, one Michelin starred, Il Faconiere, is a typically Tuscan fine dining restaurant. Located in an old lemon house that forms part of a bigger 17th century villa, it feels both charmingly rustic and very sophisticated, with a modern glass and wrought iron terrace looking over the surrounding countryside. It’s one of the best places to sample the cuisine of the region, and the seasonal tasting menu is the best way to sample as much as you can.
Currently owned by Giorgio Pinchiorri and Annie Feolde, the three star Michelin restaurant, Enoteca Pinchiorri, was named the 32nd best restaurant in the world by British Restaurant magazine. Found in Florence, the establishment serves dishes made from locally sourced ingredients, paired with tasty Tuscan wines. For a special treat, order the six course menu; though the costs are high, the quality of the food is well worth the price.
Inside Lucca’s Contemporary Art Museum, you’ll find creativity of a different kind at L’Imbuto. Offering tasting menus for three prices (40, 60 and 90 euros), Chef Cristiano Tomei seeks to provide customers with a new dining experience using traditional Tuscan ingredients.
Il Canto del Maggio
Diner, Restaurant, Italian, Mediterranean, Vegan, $
Tucked in the small Valdarno Iborgo, Il Canto del Maggio provides diners with classic farm-to-table service. Owner Mauro and his daughter opened up the hotel at Canto Del Maggio, as well as the restaurant, preparing dishes made from ingredients found in Mauro’s garden (clients can even ask him to give a tour). Prices are reasonable, wines are local and the view is priceless.
In the heart of Maremma, Caino, serves delicious two-star Michelin cuisine. What began as a wine retail business transformed into a contemporary restaurant that seats only nine tables, allowing Chef Valeria to fully focus on the food. Traditional Tuscan dishes are deconstructed and re-assemble in a completely new way, giving new life to old flavors. Dishes include interesting combinations such as roasted veal tongue sandwich with blueberry flavored onion, saffron potatoes and capers, or hare with pumpkin cream and foie gras.
Hidden in the small town of Montemerano, Trattoria Verdiana is a family-run restaurant that is noted for serving fresh game and local vegetables. Managed by Sergio and Annarita, the restaurant serves rustic meals that are as memorable as they are authentic. Customers recommend the focaccia bread and the Chef’s specials.
Osteria La Piana
Restaurant, Italian, Mediterranean, Vegetarian, $
Osteria La Piana is a casual restaurant with walls covered with pictures of the city’s famous annual horse race. While the menu offers a number of local specialties, such as Tuscan wine and large steaks, customers rave about the pici con cinghiale, pasta with wild boar sauce.
IO Osteria Personale
Restaurant, Italian, $$
The philosophy behind IO Osteria Personale was owner Matteo Fantini’s desire to breakdown stereotypes about Italian cuisine. Forget everything you thought you knew about Tuscan staples, pasta or seafood, and expect creative combinations such quinoa risotto with figs, coffee and blue cheese.
La Taverna di San Giuseppe
Restaurant, Italian, Mediterranean, Soup, $$
La Taverna di San Giuseppe offers diners an informal dining experience in a restaurant that was once an Etruscan wine cellar and a medieval chapel. The intimate space is the perfect place for an antipasti,and the locals come here for the homemade pastas, the chianina steak and the cinghiale (wild boar). It can get crowded, so make a reservation beforehand.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.