A village clinging to the cliffs of Italy’s Amalfi Coast, Positano is well-deserving of its status as one of the most popular holiday destinations in the region. Crystalline waters will wink at you wherever you walk, beckoning you in for a swim – with lush gardens and narrow staircases leading you to charming cafes and restaurants ready to engage your senses with coastal cuisine and culture. Fall in love with the beauty of this Italian coastline when you stay at one of the best hotels in Positano – all bookable with Culture Trip.
Immerse yourself in the culture of the Amalfi Coast during your serene stay at Il San Pietro di Positano. The moment you place your bags on the local terracotta flooring of your spacious suite, you’ll have a full itinerary of activities, should you desire an authentic and engaging experience. Guided garden tours, wine tasting, Italian language lessons and cocktail masterclasses will keep you busy. A private beach, swimming pool, tennis court and complimentary two-hour boat trip will hardly give you time to unpack your luggage.
How could Marincanto possibly improve on their infinity pool? By placing it in front of 360-degree views of Positano and the bay that will swim in your memory for years to come. Get lost in gazing at the horizon from this boutique Positano hotel or get a little closer to the sea by walking down the secluded steps to Marincanto’s privately owned beach. The few moments you spend inside will be in an airy, light-filled room where the sea breeze and water views will pamper you with peace and quiet.
Indulge in the simple pleasures of Positano at Le Sirenuse. The hotel staff are exceptionally encouraging of your desires to do nothing but sit and stare at the sea. Should the sea breeze and sunshine leave you wanting more, they’re happy to arrange drives to Pompeii and speedboat rides to the village of Nerano. Schedule your trip during their annual Dolce Vitality fitness and detox retreat to reawaken your senses with yoga, hikes and spa treatments as you disconnect from the digital world.
Glass-walled bathrooms at Miramare tempt you to soak your vacation away in a bathtub overlooking all of Positano. Every room faces the sea, granting you sunsets only made more memorable with a bottle of wine as red as the sky. You’ll look forward to sunrise just as much when you awake to a breakfast of sweet and savoury staples, fresh coffee – and, of course, your fill of sea views.
After a few hours in the Poseidon Hotel’s L’Onda Beauty Centre, you’ll look and feel as vibrant as the Amalfi Coast. A red coral facial treatment, anti-stress massage and long soak in the Turkish bath will leave you revitalised and ready to strike a pose in Positano. The concierge will gladly hand over the keys to a 1970s convertible Beetle and encourage you to find the best vista on the coastline for an incredible photo op.
With its envious address is on the Via dei Mulini thoroughfare, the citrus-scented grounds of the Hotel Palazzo Murat will let you engage in pursuit of tranquility right in the heart of Positano. The hydromassage corner of the turquoise pool will put every muscle at ease, even if the poolside cocktails and gelato don’t. Dry off only to slide into a table at Al Palazzo Restaurant and savour a multi-sensory journey of culinary creations using herbs and fruits from the hotel’s Donna Carmela garden.
Live like a local in your own apartment at Villa Yiara. A private entrance to this annexe leads to an immaculate living space with a full kitchen and terrace overlooking the sea. This 18th-century abode is adults-only, offering a laid-back setting where you can relax in sweet silence. A lively afternoon with locals can be found only moments away with a seven-minute walk to the beach – with an even shorter distance to a plate of fresh seafood and pasta at the popular Da Vincenzo Positano.
You’ll find the captivating contemporary artwork of Hotel Villa Franca between the waters of the Mediterranean Sea and the endless blue sky. You’d think that this luxury Positano hotel was a mini museum with its private art collection featuring world-renowned artists. Hotel Villa Franca’s rooms will leave you in a similar state of awe with their marble bathrooms, stark white furnishings and terrycloth robes that’ll tempt you to relax on your king-sized bed for hours.
Call an ancient villa – in the Positano historic district – home for a few days at Hotel Villa Gabrisa. Elegant suites are adorned with antiques from the 18th and 19th centuries, wowing you with a mix of wonder and romance. You’re welcome to spend the afternoon lounging on your terrace and watching the sun crawl across the sky – though we insist you do so with the local cheeses, jams and vino from the Gabrisa Food and Wine Shop on-site.
You’ll spend hours sipping coffee and staring into the horizon from your balcony at Villa La Tartana, overlooking the picture-perfect Tyrrhenian Sea. Whenever you choose to slip on a pair of sandals, you’ll need only walk a few short steps down the Lion Steps to the Spiaggia Grande. From your room to the breakfast room and 24-hour bar, your only escape from the peaceful sea views will be when you sit back and soak into your suite’s jacuzzi tub.
Looking for more? Discover the top reasons why you should visit Positano right now and get ready for a whirlwind of adventure. To keep you busy, we’ve also narrowed down the best things to see and do – whether it’s hiking or shopping, we’ve got something for everyone. After a long day, tuck into a delicious meal at these top restaurants and enjoy a relaxing drink at the best bars around.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.