On a scenic ridge just south of Naples, balmy Positano is the stylish centre of the Amalfi Coast – along with its five-star food and drink scene. A cascade of pastel-painted buildings coats the slopes above the beach like the skirt of an Oscars gown; its frills formed of buildings painted custard yellow, petal pink and fiery burnt orange. Book weeks ahead for the top tables, and work your way through these idyllic coastal restaurants to taste chilled glasses of local wine and feast on bowls of fresh seafood and local mozzarella grilled on lemon leaves. Here are some of our favourite restaurants to enjoy in Positano, Italy. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Well up the hillside to the east of Positano’s main beach, this trio of terraces is made homey and rustic by forest-green linen curtains, oak barrels and hanging baskets suspended above its coral-clothed tables. The views down the Amalfi Coast’s sinuous slopes to the sparkling Med are a sight to be seen – providing you can tear your eyes away from your hearty grilled chicken and steak, served with organic veggies from the owner’s garden. Book ahead to arrange a ride up in the restaurant’s shuttle bus, from a pick-up point down the hill.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Wooden mermaid sculptures front the terrace at this nautical-vibes choice on Positano’s seafront, where glossy walnut pillars and Tiffany-blue seating set the tone for an upmarket, yachty experience. It’s known for its spaghetti studded with bright orange sea urchins, as well as an olive-oil drizzled fish soup and heart-shaped pizzas – so share a few mains if you can. It’s flashy in a fun, only-in-Italy kind of way, with warm, attentive staff who up the luxury factor.
Ristorante La Cambusa
With soothing views of purring waves and a constant, refreshing breeze, this indoor-outdoor seafront bistro is a delight for a long lunch. The food is simple but exactly what you want from southern Italy: squid-ink spaghetti, creamy caprese salads, slivers of seared tuna and wine-simmered clams. Walking past in the morning, you’ll often see the fishermen bringing up their fresh catches to be cooked for the day’s lunch. Paintbox-bright chairs, ceramics and glassware give La Cambusa a classy yet laid-back, bohemian feel.
There are so many reasons to visit Positano. Read our guide for the best things to see and do to soak up the best of this gem on the Amalfi Coast. Take a look at Positano’s luxurious accommodation options and book a stay at one of the city’s best hotels – all bookable with Culture Trip. Thirsty for more? Discover the best bars in Positano and enjoy an epic sunset cocktail.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.