When in Rome…do as the Romans do. When in Milan…go shopping. From Italian designer vintage to new Scandi urban wear and luxury bohemian in between, Italy’s fashion capital has a wealth of independent fashion boutiques to discover. Check out these key addresses before your next trip.
Men’s and Women’s
Frip proclaims itself as ‘small but savvy’ and Culture Trip agrees. Since 1994 Frip has been stocking innovative brands from Scandinavia, France and Britain, including Acne Studios, CMMN SWDN and Drõle de Monsieur. Think understated, minimalist, urban and occasionally avant garde. Frip is particularly good for shoes.
Frip, Corso di Porta Ticinese 16, Milan, Italy +39 02 832 1360
Biffi Boutique, which has grown to include several locations throughout the city, mixes classic names like Alexander McQueen, Givenchy and Gucci with Golden Goose, Facetasm and Junya Watanabe. The store on the traditional shopping street, Corso Genova, was the first and remains the ‘flagship’ so to speak. The space is all marble, chrome and glass creating a calm (but not clinical) shopping environment that extends over two floors featuring both menswear and womenswear. Biffi expertly caters to both young and older fashionistas.
Biffi Boutiques, Corso Genova 6, Milan, Italy +39 02 8311 6052
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
10 Corso Como
A must visit for anyone travelling to Milan for its fashion and design heritage. This concept lifestyle store is the brainchild of the renowned publisher and editor Carla Sozzani; it is as glamorous and cool as she is. 10 Corso Como brings together fashion, food, art, design, publishing and music in a beautifully designed and very Italian setting. Sit under the canopy of vines in the courtyard café before perusing the bookshop, visiting an exhibition at the gallery or trying clothes by the most established or newest names in fashion. Instagram at the ready!
10 Corso Como, Corso Como, 10, Milan, Italy, +39 02 2901 3581
Chichi Meroni, a sixth-generation Milanese fashion designer and collector of design, founded L’Arabesque in 2010 to share her aesthetic vision and passion. Since then she has slowly expanded the space at Via Largo Augusto to become an aesthete’s empire: in addition to her signature line of menswear and womenswear and vintage collections, it now comprises a cafê, bookshop and mid-century furniture and design gallery. There is something very special about the feeling at L’Arabesque which is hard to pinpoint, somehow merging timeless elegance with contemporary sass. It’s definitely something to do with the plush grey carpet.
L’Arabesque, Largo Augusto 10, Milan, Italy +39 02 7634 1477
Inspired by her childhood in Tamil Nadu in India, designer Ingrun von Keudell (formerly at Ralph Lauran and a graduate of Parsons School of Design) has created the fashion and lifestyle label, Opaline. Von Keudell describes her collections as ‘Gipsy Smart’ – stunning Indian fabrics tailored in timeless, elegant shapes and luxurious bohemian but with a modernist or contemporary twist. In addition to beautiful dresses, blouses and robes, Opaline extends to accessories and homewares. For example, Keudell creates clutch bags, pouches and cushion covers in the brand’s signature fabrics, as well as gilded brass and fabric jewelry. Find it on Via Savona in the heart of the Tortona fashion district in the south-west of the city.
Opaline, Via Savona, 19/a, Milan, Italy +39 02 4538 8630
Memèm is a little haven of luxury bohemian style in Milan. The small white space has been lovingly decorated by the owner Emanuela Giusti – dried flowers hang on the walls and in vases, wooden stools topped with knitted cushions. It carries mostly mid-range French designers such as Ba & sh, Mesdemoiselles and Laurence Bras and Giusti seems to have a brilliant eye for fabrics and pattern, which is reflected in the collections. During summer you will find large straw hats, buttery camel leather bags and Swedish Hasbeens clogs. In winter things become a little more vampy, urban bohemian, perhaps: 70s-inspired midi-dresses, silver ankle boots and bold knits. Whatever the season, everything at Memeèn is equal parts elegant and cool.
Memèm, Via Savona 1, Milan, Italy +39 02 3675 3846
Cavalli e Nastri
Cavalli e Nastri, which has three locations in the city including one dedicated to menswear (see below), is the best designer vintage store in Milan, perhaps even Italy. A Valentino gown, a Dolce & Gabbana mini dress, a pure silk 1930s Japanese kimono, a Prada blazer – everything in the boudoir-esque store is so glamorous it will make you question why you don’t have any invitations to a ball, premiere or yacht holiday to justify a purchase.
Cavalli e Nastri Donna e Nuovo, Via Brera 2, Milan, Italy +39 02 7200 0449
Cavalli e Natri Donna, Via Gian Giacomo Mora 12, Milan, Italy +39 02 8940 9452
Cavalli e Nastri Uomo
The magical vintage eye of Cavalli e Nastri founder, Claudia Jesi, applied to men’s clothing and accessories: beautifully tailored suits and jackets from as early as the 1930s, eclectic pocket squares and ties, disco flairs and classic hats.
Cavalli e Nastri Uomo, Via Gian Giacomo Mora 3, Milan, Italy +39 02 49451174
A champion of bold patterns and fabrics, Massimo Piombo is known for striking contemporary adaptations of old-school tailoring and historic garments. The bizzare-esque boutique in Brera was the designer’s first stand-alone store and the five-storey space was created in collaboration with architect Ferruccio Laviani. The interior is a deep azure blue furnished with tropical plants and collectibles. Enter and get lost in the madness.
Massimo Piombo, Piazza S. Marco 4, Milan, Italy +39 02 7862 5718
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.