Florence is a perennial tourist draw, boasting historic sites like the Uffizi Gallery, Ponte Vecchio and the stunning Duomo that attract crowds year on year. However, it’s not all about bus tours and big-chain hotels; the gem of Northern Italy is full of unique places to stay. From stylish, rustic-chic mansions to 16th-century palazzi, we’ve picked out the best boutique hotels in Florence.
With a central location on the bustling Piazza Santa Maria Novella, J.K. Place is among the most sought-after boutique hotels in Italy. From the eclectic mix of retro furniture to the framed art tastefully hung, this townhouse is a treasure trove of classic-contemporary design. Spread across three floors, the 20 guest rooms are decorated in whites and feature antique fireplaces, hardwood flooring and four-poster beds. The J.K. Lounge is the perfect place for a romantic dinner, in an intimate setting with an open fire.
Overlooking the largest private garden in Europe, AdAstra is a boutique hotel with the homely atmosphere of an eccentric aristocrat’s apartment. Inside, vast chandeliers, various frescoes and creaky parquet floors mingle with upcycled furniture and pieces of Italian design from the ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s. The 14 rooms are elegant and understated, again with an emphasis on design. An ample breakfast buffet of locally sourced cheeses, prosciutto and Moka coffee is served from the sunny salon each morning. Afterwards, guests can recline on the sublime wraparound terrace.
In the trendy Oltrarno neighbourhood, SoprArno Suites is a stylish guest house that inhabits the top three floors of a handsome 16th-century mansion. A design lover’s dream, its authentic Florentine interiors are furnished with a mixture of vintage pieces and rare salvaged items, which complement the original frescoes that still adorn many of the ceilings. The boutique has 10 spacious rooms, each of which is centred on a unique theme. The Viaggiatore suite, for example, features framed maps and dark hardwood floors. The bistro, SottArno, serves home-made cakes and fresh-pressed panini like the sweet mortadella with rosemary.
Across the street from the wide-open Piazza Indipendenza, Palazzo Casti 1874 is a swanky modern boutique hotel inside a divine 19th-century mansion. Opened in 2015, the lofty ceilings, original frescoes and elegant staircase lend character to the stylish contemporary furnishings of the hotel’s 50 guest rooms. Relax under the shade of an umbrella in the Limonaia garden or treat yourself to a massage at the spa. After a long day of sightseeing, a dip in the pool is a great way to refresh and rejuvenate.
In the eastern area of Florence, Relais Santa Croce occupies the sumptuous 18th-century Palazzo Jacometti Ciofi. Its public spaces are impressive, with soaring ceilings, lofty arches and grand staircases. The 24 comfortable suites are finished in mod-classic style with muted earthy tones and herringbone wood flooring. Grab a cocktail in the Music Room, a grandiose salon with original frescoes and a carved stone hearth, then sit down to a gourmet dinner at on-site restaurant Guelfi e Ghibellini. Real foodies also shouldn’t miss Tuscany’s only three-Michelin-star restaurant, Enoteca Pinchiorri, which shares a building with the hotel.
On the south bank of the Arno just a short distance outside of Florence, Villa La Massa occupies a 16th-century house that once belonged to the Medicis. With pietra serena staircases, vaulted ceilings and fine brocades in rich jewel tones, this multi-layered palazzo exudes opulence. Rooms are designed in classic Florentine style with deep-red carpeting and four-poster beds draped in Renaissance-esque canopies. Pan-Italian dishes pair perfectly with a riverfront view at the charming Il Verrocchio restaurant. An aperitivo from the red-painted hotel bar, with signature cocktails from Santa Maria Novella, is also a must.
On an unassuming side street in the city centre, Palazzo di Camugliano is a boutique hotel housed inside a 16th-century manor. This is classic Florentine luxury, with interiors that boast original marble flooring, lavish frescoes and stone-carved fireplaces. Packed with precious antique heirlooms, this former family home manages to combine elegance with a comfortable, lived-in appeal. The 10 piano nobile suites range a lot in size and shape, from single rooms with vaulted ceilings and rustic terracotta tiles to a four-bedroom apartment with a fully equipped kitchenette.
Book other local stays through Culture Trip by discovering where to book your stay in Florence, the best hotels in Florence and best luxury hotels in Florence. Fill up the itinerary of your visit with these reasons why everyone should visit Florence, then end your day with a drink at one of the best bars in Florence. Looking for some good grub? Here are a local tour guide’s favourite restaurants in Florence.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.