Bologna is a buzzing city full of life with some of the best sights in Italy. Its restaurants, markets and bars are exciting to explore, but after a long day of sightseeing, you’ll want to rest at a relaxing hotel. Below, we have listed some unique hotels filled with beautiful design and excellent facilities – bookable with Culture Trip.
A grand hotel with the feel of a country estate, the Savoia Hotel Regency is an icon of Bologna’s hospitality scene, just minutes away from the historic heart of the city. Lavish, classically decorated rooms, an outdoor pool, landscaped gardens and the famous Garganelli Restaurant come together to create a sophisticated retreat from the hustle and bustle of the nearby city centre. For those of you wanting to arrive in style, the Savoia Hotel Regency even has a private helicopter pad.
Not many hotels can boast a passion for hospitality that dates back to the 12th century, but Al Cappello Rosso is not an ordinary hotel. Following in the tradition of a tavern with guest rooms, this boutique hotel has 33 rooms and 10 apartments – each individually designed by famous artists and stage designers. The tavern below – the Osteria del Cappello – has been serving traditional Bolognese dishes since 1375, and if you fancy taking a taste of Italy home, this foodie-friendly hotel even features a gourmet shop.
Sleek minimalism abounds at the Savhotel, near Bologna’s Fiera District. Contemporary guest rooms are airy and practical, while the hotel’s NeroArancio Restaurant serves up traditional dishes from the surrounding region, using only the freshest, local produce. However, the star of the show is found on the sixth floor – take in unmatched views of the Bologna skyline as you relax in the jacuzzi tub on the hotel’s sky-brushing rooftop terrace.
A boutique hotel nestled in the heart of the medieval centre, the Art Hotel Commercianti acts as a window into Bologna’s past. Lying inside what was a local government building in the 12th century, this charming hotel has restored the original features that make it unique. Vaulted ceilings and wooden beams create an enchanting atmosphere in the guest rooms, while the balconies overlook the gothic stained-glass windows of the historic Basilica di San Petronio.
Between the city and the countryside is a true Bolognese home from home. The tiny Casa Fluò Relais offers a truly authentic local experience, where rustic chic lends charm to the four guest rooms. Start each day with a regional feast of home-made cakes, freshly baked bread and local produce from the hotel’s farm. Just opposite the guest house is the owner’s second venture – Fienile Fluò – a charming restaurant and theatre space, welcoming neighbours and visitors alike and delivering a real connection to local life and culture.
Lorna Turnbull contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.