Quadrilatero Romano is one of the most cheerful neighborhoods in Turin, especially during week nights, when the numerous students in town go out for happy hour. But alongside these enthusiastic revelers, there are many quieter locals populating the hidden bars between the streets; we list some great spots to join them in.
Baratti e Milano
Baratti e Milano features a large, elegant room decorated with huge chandeliers, where customers can sit on antique chairs at marble tables while enjoying one of the many teas on the menu or a traditional bicerin, which here is still made with the original recipe too; hot chocolate at the base, a shot of espresso and cappuccino foam to finish off.
Baratti e Milano, piazza Castello 27/29, Turin, Italy, +39 011 440 7138
Land is a great place to have a drink on a night out with friends. It features several rooms so it can accommodate a fair number of customers, who can find a place on comfortable couches, as well as on chairs and in hidden alcoves about the place. The low lighting illuminates the peculiar artworks on the walls, while Land also features a wide variety of unusual liquors and hot teas, which are served with cookies.
Land, via Santa Chiara 20/d, Turin, Italy
Hafa looks exactly how you’d expect a Moroccan café to look after seeing all the movies; think Rick’s gin joint in Casablanca. Customers feel welcome and cozy in the warm space complete with orange walls and ethnic furnishing, while they can enjoy either traditional Moroccan beverages such as the mint tea, or high-quality cocktails and snacks such as cookies and granola yoghurt.
Hafa, via Sant’Agostino 23/c,10122 Turin, Italy, +39 011 436 7091
Just a few blocks from the Porta Palazzo market, following the piazza main street, via Milano, this cozy cafe is easily reachable. It tends to get lost among the shops all around it but the eye can’t possibly miss the cakes displayed in the window, not to mention the regular crowd of local enjoying delicious slices at the bar. Head in, grab an espresso and sample some fine in-house cake creations.
Caffetteria Buffet, Via Milano 7, Turin, Italy, +39 011 436 1298
It’s already been mentioned how this area is constantly populated by students of all kinds. And this American-style coffee shop attracts many of them. It is not unusual at Buster’s to find study groups reuniting to work while eating donuts, next to high school goers gossiping in front of an American coffee. It’s not the place to relax in silence, but it’s great for spending a free afternoon of shopping among chatty friends and locals
Buster’s Coffee, via delle Orfane 2, Turin, Italy, +39 0115840242
The area around the Porta Palazzo market was once a very rich neighborhood, and the many historic cafes still stand as testimony to its past glories. One of those old cafes is the Cremolese. Cremolese features traditional Piedmontese beverages and treats, as well as Sicilian specialities, along with ice-cream and chocolates of all kinds. Customers can accommodate in the dehor to have a nice view over the piazza.
Cremolese, Via Milano 11/b, Turin, Italy, +39 011 1987 6021
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The excellent croissants served at Torrefazione Moderna make it the ideal place for breakfast, and since everybody knows it, customers should be prepared to wait in a little but quick line in order to taste them. The delicious pastries are accompanied by great coffee and a wide selection of teas, which are also available for purchase to take home.
Torrefazione Moderna, via Corte d’Appello 2, Turin, Italy, +39 011 436 4973
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.