Santa Croce is maybe the most popular area of Florence, not only for Florentines but also for tourists, who come here attracted by its beautiful basilica and famous leather shops. The large piazza hosts many concerts, festivals, markets and other events throughout the year. If you are in Florence, you can’t miss it, so read our list of the top things to do and see here and note it down on your agenda.
Visit the largest burial place in Florence
Santa Croce Basilica, one of the largest churches of Florence, is not only a stunning religious building, but is also the burial place of some of the most illustrious and famous Italian artists, painters, architects and intellectuals of all the times. Here are buried Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Foscolo and Rossini, just to name few.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit the largest library of Florence
Just a few steps from the Basilica is the largest library in town, Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale, created as the private library of Antonio Magliabechi, a Florentine librarian and bibliophile. According to his will, the collection was left as a gift to the city of Florence in 1714. The big flood of the Arno River of 1966 caused serious damage to the library and its collection of books, which was one of the largest in Italy. People from all over Italy came to Florence to help the guardians of the library save the books from the water.
Buy leather goods
One of the reasons why Santa Croce is so popular is for the leather stores. There are shops on every street, and some that encircle the square, too. Pay attention to the prices and compare them before you buy any leather goods. Behind the church is Scuola del Cuoio, the largest and most famous leather school in town, where artisans create shoes, coats, bags and other leather stuffs. We strongly recommend you visit it if you want to learn something more about the history of leather in Florence.
Watch old soccer games
Santa Croce is the home of one of the most famous events of Italy, Calcio in Costume. This ancient competition dates back to the Renaissance era. Four teams, which represent the four historical districts of Florence, play against each other, first in two semi-finals and later in the final match to determine the winner, which is always played the 24th of June. That day, the game is anticipated by a parade with people dressed in traditional costumes.
Meet the locals at Moyo
Santa Croce is the most popular area of Florence for young people in search of fun, pubs and places to spend the night out. The area is plenty of cool locations, but one of the best is Moyo, a nice spot mostly frequented by students and young tourists. They serve delicious aperitivo with great cocktails and excellent food. At 9pm, the music gets louder when DJs start playing and people start dancing.
Visit the German winter market
Santa Croce is not only a cool place for hanging out and shopping, it is also the home to the largest winter market of Tuscany. Every December, the square hosts the German Market, a lovely winter market with beautiful stalls where visitors can buy artisan stuffs and eat authentic delicacies of Northern Europe.
Eat the best gelato of Florence
Hidden in a narrow cobblestone street not far from the Basilica of Santa Croce is one of the best spots to visit in town, Gelateria Vivoli. This old ice-cream shop is a must-see place for everyone in Florence – you can’t miss out on tasting the best and most famous gelato in town. Try the classic flavors such as crema, pistachio, chocolate and stracciatella, and you’ll not regret it.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.