Walking around Rome is a feast for the senses, from uneven cobblestone streets to orange patina walls draped with ivy to vintage shop fronts and Baroque churches. With a number of world-famous sights thrown into the mix waiting to be discovered at the end of each street, here is a taste of the Roman experience in 18 Instagram photos.
Rome’s famous Trevi Fountain sneaks up on you. You hear it before you see it!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The early bird gets the worm in Rome, and the major sights, such as the Piazza della Rotonda at the Pantheon, are tourist-free first thing in the morning. Although it is believed that the Pantheon in its current form was built between 118-125 AD, the Roman temple still stands and is one of the best preserved ancient monuments in the city.
Speaking of impressive feats of ancient architecture and engineering, the Colosseum is worth admiring from the outside …
… and the inside. If you make your way up to the terzo anello, or third ring, you’ll have a truly impressive view of the world’s largest ancient amphitheatre.
For more impressive views, you’ll want to pay a visit to the famous terraces and rooftop bars, where you can appreciate the city from a whole different angle. It is fascinating to see the Eternal City from up above.
Make your way up to the cupola of St. Peter’s Basilica for an incredible bird’s eye view of Piazza San Pietro.
The city is particularly beautiful at sunset. After your visit to Galleria Borghese, take a stroll through the Villa Borghese park to reach the Pincio terrace, which has some of the best views in the city.
Another favorite terrace is the Giardino degli Aranci, or Orange Garden, up on Aventine Hill. The view is flanked by spindly Roman pines with St. Peter’s dome prominently featured in the distance.
You’ll find even more Roman pines in Parco degli Acquedotti, along with ruins of the city’s ancient aqueducts. This park is a wonderful escape on the weekends, and families often take their bikes and a picnic to enjoy a day outside in the fresh air.
But if you prefer to soak in art and culture, Rome won’t disappoint. The city itself is an outdoor museum with ornate fountains, intricate sculptures and breathtaking beauty everywhere you look.
The best way to enjoy the magic of Rome is to get lost down winding streets and bump into surprises, such as the small Tiber Island, situated on the Tiber River, which is perfect for a leisurely stroll and is associated with medicine and healing.
Perhaps the most charming aspect of Rome is how well it retains its small-town feel. The city comprises dozens of neighborhoods, each with its own unique characteristics and atmosphere. One of the most evocative neighborhoods is Trastevere, which sits across the Tiber and will transport you to village life.
Trastevere is well-known for its buzzing nightlife, quaint restaurants and cafés, so stop by for aperitivo to whet your appetite before dinner with a spritz and some snacks.
Afterward, you’ll want to try one of Rome’s signature pasta dishes; choose from carbonara, amatriciana, gricia or cacio e pepe.
Next, take in the sights by evening light. With a warm, golden glow and a deep blue sky, the city becomes even more magical and atmospheric. The Spanish Steps will afford another great view.
St. Peter’s Basilica is breathtaking at all hours of the day, but it’s especially impressive as soon as the sun goes down and Michelangelo’s famous cupola lights up.
Rome’s fountains are even more beautiful when illuminated as the sky turns darker and darker blue.
And the city’s ancient heritage is given a new life after nightfall, like Hadrian’s ancient temple ruins in Piazza di Pietra.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.