The delicious food
Let’s be honest: the food in Florence is good, very good. The city is full of gourmet restaurants which are sometimes too expensive, but there are also cool bars and street food trucks where you can buy excellent Tuscan food for a few euros. When you move away from the town it will be hard to survive without these Florence classics: bistecca alla fiorentina, schiacciata, pappa al pomodoro, and lampredotto.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Using a bike
Because of its heavy traffic, the best thing to do in Florence is to buy a bike and use it to cross the city. Even on a rainy day the best choice is to ride your bike to avoid pileups. The good news is that Florence is a small town, so you can move from one side to the other in few minutes by bike. You can’t do this easily in a big city and if you are leaving Florence for a metropolis, we guarantee you’ll miss this flexibility the most.
The Florentine accent
To be honest, Florentines speak the real Italian. If you are a bit addicted to Italy you’ll know that every region speaks a different dialect, such as Neapolitan, Sicilian, Venetian, and so on. Well, in Tuscany there is no dialect, people here speak the Italian taught in the schools. Florentines have a lovely accent and everyone loves the way they sound some words.
High-end fashion everywhere
Everyone knows that Italy is one of the most important country’s in the fashion industry, and Florence (tied with Milan) is home to many famous designers known worldwide. Florence is the birthplace of the prestigious Made in Italy, and the first fashion show (as we know it) took place here. Florence also hosts the biannual fashion trade show Pitti, a must for everyone in love with fashion and design.
The excellent wine
Florence is known not only for its terrific food but also for the wine. The Chianti Region (located between Florence and Siena) is where it is produced but it is also sold in Florence. The traditional trattorias and tavernas offer excellent (and expensive) wines but you can always ask for house wine which is less pricy and can be enjoyed by everyone no matter what their budget.
New restaurants and bars… everywhere
In Florence it’s never difficult finding somewhere new to eat every week. The town has plenty of cool restaurants and bars so finding ways to fill your free time is easy. Our suggestion is to avoid the touristic places and go to Oltrarno, the neighbourhood on the left bank of the Arno River, which is mostly frequented by locals.
A wealth of great museums
Most people think that in Florence there is only one museum – the Uffizi Gallery. But the town has lots of interesting museums and art galleries that are worth a visit. From the Accademia (home of the real David), to contemporary art museum Museo del Novecento; Galleria del Costume, a fashion gallery; and Specola, the oldest natural history museum in Italy, Florence is home to some of the most spectacular museums in Europe.
Glorious Renaissance architecture
Florence has some of the world’s most important pieces of architecture, monuments, ancient sites and art that are lauded worldwide. From the Duomo del Brunelleschi and Palazzo della Signoria, to the Uffizi Gallery and the Church of Santa Croce, Florence is full of stunning cultural heritage everywhere you turn.
Great day trips in the area
Situated in the centre of Italy, Florence is the perfect base to do day trips and see several cities which can be reached in only a few hours. It only takes one hour to get both Pisa and Siena, two hours to reach Cinque Terre, and an hour and a half to get to Rome. The form of transport is the train that you can take from the Central Station, Stazione di Santa Maria Novella, in the middle of the city.
Siena, Tuscany -Toscana — 👉Special thanks to 👑@donquiellumbera_ 👑— 👉Tag your pics with 🌟#ilikeitaly 🌟- #visittuscany #instatuscany #tuscany #toscana #siena #click_italy #discoveritaly #gf_italy #great_captures_italia #igw_italy #italia_dev #infinity_italy #instaitalia #instagramitalia #italygram #italiagram #italytrip #beautiful #unlimitexitaly #iloveitaly #framesofitaly #italytrip #iloveitaly #prettylittleitaly#tuscanygram #beautifulmatters #gothicarchitecture #iamatraveler #lovetravel
Une publication partagée par Italia.it (@italiait) le 3 Sept. 2017 à 22h09 PDT
You can walk everywhere
If you don’t love riding a bike you can always walk through the city. It is undoubtedly the cheapest way to get about! Florence’s city centre is very small so you’ll be able to do shopping, go to the markets and do what you want, using your legs.
Access to fresh seasonal products
Italian food is famous worldwide for being simple and delicious. To prepare Florentine dishes using local, seasonal ingredients, the best thing to do is to go to the vegetable and fruit markets located in the city (not necessarily in the centre). For instance, a simple pasta with pomarola (tomato sauce), is made only with the freshest tomatoes when they are in season.
With so many architectural gems, bridges and belvederes to watch the sunset, Florence is one of the most romantic towns in Italy. Don’t take these views for granted because when you’ll move away from this amazing town you’ll sorely miss them.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.