Selecting the most spectacular beaches in Greece, a country of over 13,700 kilometres (8,513 miles) of coastline, is no small feat. While we have chosen the 10 most incredible sandy shores, there are numerous beaches to visit in this beautiful country, both on the mainland and the islands, so you should visit as often as you can to discover new ones.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This lunar-like, Instagram-worthy beach lies on the north side of the beautiful island of Milos. Sarakiniko is made of polished white volcanic rocks, bordered by shallow turquoise waters, making it family-friendly. There is a little strip of sand, however, so make sure to get there early if you want your spot; otherwise, just grab your towel and lay it on the rocks for a fun sunbathing session.
Probably one of the best-kept secrets of Ikaria, Seychelles Beach is hidden in a small cove surrounded by unique rock formations about 20 kilometres (12.4 miles) west of the small village of Agios Kirikos. Seychelles (you will quickly discover why it received this name) is a stunning pebble beach lapped by emerald waters and is only accessible via a small downward path off the main road. Wild, isolated and beautiful, Seychelles is definitely a must-see.
White pebbles, crystal clear waters and spectacular rock formations. Can you picture it? Well, you can do even better. You can simply head to Skiathos, and spend the day in Lalaria, a beautiful beach only reachable by sea. Enclosed by steep cliffs, it offers a sense of isolation and tranquillity. Just make sure to head there early in the morning and plan your escape in advance (bring food and water). You may not be the only one enjoying these shores, but you will definitely feel like you are on top of the world!
The mainland also has its fair share of stunning beaches, and our favourite pick is Voidokilia, near Pylos in Peloponnese. This sandy destination with a unique shape may not be easy to reach, but it is no doubt worth the effort. With clear, shallow waters of the most intense aquamarine colour, this little, unspoilt paradise is unorganised, so make sure to bring everything you need to spend a day there. Because it is quite popular, it’s best to get there before 11 a.m to secure the perfect spot.
Porto Katsiki, Lefkada
Leave it to Lefkada to astonish you with breathtaking landscapes and scenic sandy coastline. The go-to beach, and for good reason, on this beautiful Ionian island is Porto Katsiki. Set in an impressive bay and surrounded by cliffs, a flight of narrow stairs will lead you to the idyllic shores, allowing you to take the views in before reaching paradise.
An old favourite for locals and visitors alike, Myrtos Beach in Kefalonia is simply spectacular. While the view of the coastline from the cliffs is worth a thousand words, the feeling that you will get once you are lying on the pebbles while staring at the intense blue waters will leave you speechless. And don’t panic if you have a déjà vu moment; Myrtos Beach was actually a filming location for Captain Corelli’s Mandolin, starring Nicholas Cage.
Located on the island of Elafonisos, off the southern coast of Peloponnese, Simos Beach is the kind of place that will make you pinch yourself twice. With soft white sand and exotic waters, the area is actually two beaches in one. Separated by a sand strip, Megalos Simos and Mikros Simos both face a blue-green sea, making a lovely setting.
Crete is home to a plethora of must-see attractions, and one of them is the majestic islet of Elafonisi in the south-west part of the island. Blessed with unparalleled beauty, Elafonisi is a protected area, where the waters are transparent and the sand dust-like. Taking on a pinkish hue – no one knows for sure as to why – there is no doubt that this is one of the most spectacular beaches in Greece.
Navagio Beach, Zakynthos
Home to a shipwreck stranded there in the 1980s, Navagio Beach, or Shipwreck Beach, is probably one of the most famous beaches in Greece, if not the world. Accessible by boat, huge cliffs and turquoise waters surround this sandy stretch of land. Due to its popularity, you won’t have a hard time finding a boat taking you there. Most boat tours even include a visit to the Blue Caves, which are worth seeing.
Balos Beach, Crete
If you want to feel like you are in the Carribean, but without the jet lag, head to Balos Beach, on the northwestern side of Crete. Completely secluded, it has soft sand and cerulean water and has retained its pristine beauty, despite being popular. The islet of Gramvoussa with its Venetian castle is just nearby if you want to do some exploration.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.