Milos is a small volcanic island in the Cyclades archipelago. Discover white-washed villages, fishing ports and beautiful churches, and can catch some of the most amazing sunsets and sunrises in the Mediterranean. With over 40 exotic beaches and year-round sunshine, you will definitely be coming home with a tan.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Agios Ioannis Beach
Named after a small chapel that overlooks the bay, this beach was virtually unknown until the crew of the film Shirley Valentine arrived here in 1989, thrusting it into the spotlight. It can be reached by bus or car, or you can walk along the shoreline from Ornos Beach. With views of blue ocean and white, sugar-cube-shaped buildings clinging to mountains, it’s no wonder that this bay is popular with couples and families. It’s also a great spot to watch the sunset.
According to local legend, locals unwittingly rescued pirates who were shipwrecked on Sarakiniko Beach and helped them rebuild their ship; they even invited them to a local wedding. However, the pirates’ treacherous plan to rob everyone at the wedding was overturned when they were trumped by the townsmen and thrown off one of the white volcanic cliffs into the deep sea. This is now a popular spot for cliff jumping – if you dare.
Catacombs of Milos
Visiting graves on holiday may not be your first choice of activity, but the Catacombs of Milos are a natural phenomenon. Discovered in 1844, it is estimated that they were built towards the end of the 1st century; remarkably, they are still decorated with remnants of the original jewels and pictures. Designed as labyrinths so that the Romans could get lost in them and protect the bodies from their enemies, each atrium decreases in height as you reach the death chamber.
Papafragas Beach and Caves
Daredevils flock to Papafragas Beach and Caves, which, from above, resemble an enormous natural swimming pool. A precarious path cut from the cliff leads down to the strip of sand that forms the beach. Wade through the shallow waters, or swim out through a natural arch around the headland to discover the hidden treasure of an idyllic, sheltered blue pool, where you can jump off rocks, an abundance of sea caves and secluded coves.
Plaka, the sprawling capital city of Milos, was founded in 1800 and sits 220m (722ft) above sea level. Its main draw is the magnificent view of the Gulf of Milos, but the city is filled with history. Check out the folklore and sand museums, and enjoy meandering through the narrow streets, admiring the whitewashed houses and flower-filled trellises. If you’re feeling energetic, there are several interesting churches to visit, along with castle ruins from the German occupation during WWII.
This picturesque fishermen’s village is 2km (1.2mi) from Plaka, past the quarry and the populated town of Triovasalos. This simple village is made up of a handful of traditional white cottages, which stand out in stark contrast to the blue sky and turquoise sea. It’s no wonder that it is getting a reputation among kayakers, who come from further afield to admire the pristine, untouched scenery.
Come to Klima to ogle the boathouses, shop for local crafts or have a paddle. The multi-coloured, traditional syrmatas, or fishermen’s houses, are very photogenic – come at golden hour to catch a magnificent sunset over the bay, which complements the vibrant hues of the paintwork. Please note that, if you come by bus, the village is at the bottom of a winding road starting from the village of Trypiti; it’s a 30-minute trek down, and even longer to walk back up.
Known for its long, sandy shoreline and shady trees, Pallonia is pretty secluded. There’s a diving school and the only official winery on Milos island – family-run Kostantakis Cave Winery, which offers local wine tastings in its converted cave cellar. St Nicholas Church, on the hilltop, has amazing panoramic views of the sunrise and offers a view of Poseidon’s Throne – a natural geothermic rock formation, which opens up towards the sea.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.