Ten hours by boat from Athens lies Ikaria, a verdant island in the southeast of the Aegean Sea. Dubbed the “paradise of longevity,” or “the island where people forget to die,” as the New York Times put it, Ikaria is home to a population that seems to defy death. With one in three people living to 90 years without major age-related issues, Ikaria is certainly an example to follow. Here are some lessons from the island of longevity.
Ikaria (or Icaria) has been identified along with four other regions as a “blue zone,” i.e. an area where people tend to live measurably longer lives. According to a study carried out by the University of Athens Medical School and published in Cardiology Research and Study, Ikaria counts more nonagenarians and centenarians than anywhere else. While people over 80 make about 5% of the population of Greece, this demographic reaches 13% in Ikaria, with an significant portion of nonagenarians.
To get to the bottom of things, Dan Buettner (National Geographic fellow, New York Times-bestselling author, and BlueZones.com founder) analyzed and researched what all these blue zones, including Ikaria, had in common and came up with a list of characteristics, called the power 9, that he observed in the blue zones:
Moderate, regular physical activity
Moderate calories intake
Moderate alcohol intake, especially wine
Engagement in spirituality or religion
Engagement in family life
Engagement in social life
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
From these 9 commonalities, we have compiled a few tips to help improve health and, who knows, maybe even live to 90.
Spend time outdoors
There are no gyms in Ikaria, and yet, locals are healthier. The secret? They spend their time outside. Whether it is to get to work, socialize with friends or simply to do some gardening, Ikarians enjoy spending time in the outdoors. Physical activity, even such as basic as walking, is part of their daily lives.
Take the time to take your time
Perhaps the greatest secret we can learn from Ikarians is their relationship with time. They do not rush but enjoy every single moment – a concept of mindfulness that is ingrained deep within them. When they socialize with their friends around a cup of Greek coffee or local wine (in moderation), it is not for a matter of minutes but hours. Like anyone else in the world, they are not impermeable to stress, but they prefer not to focus on it and find ways to release it, whether it is through meditation or exercise.
Ikarians know and understand the power of a good night sleep. Even if they tend to go to bed later, they sleep in the next day and try to nap as often as possible. Think naps are for lazy people? It’s time to reconsider this misconception – in fact, napping has been proven to reduce cardiovascular disease.
Take care of the land, and it will give back
Agriculture and, to a lesser extent, gardening is a major activity in Ikaria. Indeed, locals usually grow and consume their own produce, which also allows them to digest fewer pesticides. Families often have a small garden where they cultivate fruits and vegetables. Eating seasonally and locally is way of taking care of the environment with the added bonus of being mutually beneficial. Add to this an authentic Mediterranean diet – rich in vegetables and fruits, aromatic herbs (for cooking and in teas), honey, goat milk, with few carbs and meat (eaten occasionally) – and it’s clear why Ikarians live longer. Check out Chef Diane Kochilas’ cookbook on the subject for inspiration.
Really connect with peers
Ikarians are constantly socializing. Whether it is for lunch (which may take a few hours) or for a glass of wine, they love to spend time with each other and truly converse. Even the lonelier ones are encouraged to join and spend time at the panigyria, local festivals with a lot of dancing, music, and wine, attracting visitors from other islands.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.