When planning a trip to Greece, most travelers focus on its mythical islands that are home to some of the most stunning beaches and awe-inspiring scenery. The Greek Islands are so beautiful that they are said to have been the preferred vacation spot of the mighty Zeus himself. However, when visiting Greece, it would be a grave mistake to overlook the less talked about yet equally exotic places hidden on the mainland.
Located in the southeastern part of Thessaly in the center of Greece, this mountain is considered the most beautiful in Greece and is known as the home of the centaurs in ancient Greek mythology. The mountain is also an adventurer’s paradise. The heavily forested mountain shields hikers from the sun as they explore the various trails and stone paths leading to the mountain’s various springs, coves, and sandy beaches. In the cooler months, travelers can play in the snow at the peak of the mountain and swim in the waters of the Aegean Sea in the same day. While hiking, keep a look out for the remains of ancient villages and enjoy the refreshing plums that grow naturally on the mountain.
Just a three-hour drive from Athens, this canyon is the perfect trip for hikers and nature lovers with a passion for exploring unique environments. You can wade through the shallow waters of the canyon while enjoying the stunning rock formations, waterfalls, and unique plant life along the way. As the water levels rise in the winter months, visitors opt to raft through the canyon, which connects to the greater Krikelliotis River. While the trek through the canyon is relatively short, you can continue exploring the endless forests and rock formations that surround the canyon.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Often considered the ‘most beautiful beach in the Mediterranean’, Voidokilia is a must-visit destination with plenty to see and do. Due to its relatively remote location, most visitors pitch a tent and camp out on the beach while soaking up the sun, scenery, and warm waters of the Ionian Sea. For the adventurous spirits, common activities include parachuting, cliff diving, hang gliding, and surfing. The beach also borders the mystical Gialova Lagoon – an important stop for 74 endangered species of migratory birds who feed off of the aquatic habitat. Plan this trip in July or September to avoid large crowds.
It is said that Zeus himself bathed in this 15 km-long river that flows through the Lousios Gorge located in the southeast of mainland Greece. Unlike the tame shallow waters of Panta Vrexi, the waters of the Lousios are rough and treacherous, making it ideal for kayaking and whitewater rafting. For a unique hiking experience, climb down through the adjoining Neda River/Gorge to the waterfalls and through the grotto which opens up into the Ionian Sea.
Situated on the the Gulf of Kyparissia, Kalo Nero (meaning ‘good water’) is an iconic Greek coastal village and home to the largest beach on the mainland. During the summer months, tourists from Greece and around Europe flock to the beach in their camper vans. The beachfront has various hotels, taverns, and restaurants rumored to have some of the best food in Greece. During the summer, the beach becomes home to over 100 loggerhead sea turtle nests. They hatch between July and October and it is truly a fascinating event to experience.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.