A charming city filled with historic landmarks, hip cafés and world-class museums, Thessaloniki is an ideal destination for a European city trip all year around. On hot summer days, if you’d like to enjoy the sunny weather without heading to a beach or facing the crowds in the parks and green spaces that are dotted along its extensive waterfront, it’s time to get acquainted with Thessaloniki’s outdoor pools. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
The Met Hotel Pool
If you’re in Thessaloniki on a hot summer day and don’t feel like hopping on a bus to the beach, head straight to the the rooftop pool of the Met Hotel, an urban oasis near the port. Equipped with luxurious loungers and offering views over the port, the sea and the city, this pool is a great place to relax with a drink in hand and enjoy a refreshing dip. After your plunge, why not pop to one of the on-site restaurants to end the day on a high note and refuel for the journey home?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Capsis Hotel Rooftop Pool
Located in the heart of Thessaloniki, Capsis Hotel is a popular accommodation choice in Greece’s second city. But besides the convenient location, elegant rooms and suites and stellar services, Capsis Hotel features the highest rooftop pool in town, giving swimmers fantastic views over the city. This urban oasis has a bar where you can enjoy light snacks and hearty meals, as well as soft drinks, coffee, warm beverages and cocktails. There is no official entrance charge but there is a minimum consumption fee of €8 (€10 at the weekends). Furthermore, the rooftop garden often hosts special events and parties during the summer, making it one of the hottest spots in the city.
Electra Palace Hotel Pool
Located right on Aristotelous Square, a major meeting point in the heart of the city, the Electra Palace rooftop pool is the ideal spot to cool off during the summer months. With views over Thessaloniki’s trademark square, this pool is open all summer long from 10am until 7pm, and is serviced by Orizontes restaurant and bar so you can enjoy drinks and food all day long. This city haven is undeniably a top choice if you are looking for a place to relax and get a break from the heat.
Lazart Hotel Outdoor Swimming Pool
Located in the western part of the city, near the beautiful Moni Lazariston (Lazarists Monastery), the Lazart Hotel is a peaceful paradise surrounded by nature. You will fall in love with its outdoor pool, serviced by a pool bar where you can enjoy a selection of delicious snacks and drinks after your dip. The pool entrance fee is €10 and includes use of a sunbed, a towel and access to a changing room. Get ready for hours of relaxation in this little green oasis.
Makedonia Palace Hotel Swimming Pool
A historic hotel in Thessaloniki, Makedonia Palace, right by the Nea Paralia (which means ‘new waterfront’), has seduced guests from around the world with its five-star premises and outdoor swimming pool. Open all day until 8pm for just a €15 fee from Monday to Thursday (€25 on Fridays and at the weekend), this pool is the place to be during the summer months. As the most iconic hotel in town and thanks to its convenient location, the pool does get crowded at weekends.
Hotel Nikopolis’ Aquarella Pool
If “dream big” is your motto, put it into practice by visiting the Hotel Nikopolis, located outside of the city centre, on the way to the airport. Here you will find the largest outdoor pool in the city. With its relaxed atmosphere, the swimming pool is perfect for sipping on a tasty cocktail after taking a dip in the water. Open from 10am until 8pm every day during the hot months of summer, this is the perfect spot to fight the rising temperatures.
Hyatt Regency Hotel
Less than five minutes from the airport and 30 minutes from the city centre, the Hyatt Regency is an upscale hotel with, among other high-end amenities, a stunning and very large outdoor swimming pool. For €15 per person you get access to the pool and its bar, where you can enjoy light meals and snacks as well as drinks. With its tropic plants and elegant decor, you’ll feel as if you’re in a high-end resort on a Caribbean island rather than just outside Thessaloniki.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.