A vibrant city year-round with its cultural attractions and nightlife, Thessaloniki is also the gateway to the Halkidiki Peninsula and the northeastern islands. If you’re visiting Thessaloniki in the hot summer months, you’ll probably want to find someplace cool to hang out. Here are our suggestions for what you can do to stay cool in Thessaloniki during the summer.
Go to the beach
The best way to stay cool during summer is to take a refreshing dip in the sea. With the stunning beaches of Halkidiki less than two hours away, it would be a crime to stay in the city on a hot day. There are countless beaches nearby, so plan a day trip by renting a car or making use of the public transport.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Stay cool at the pool
If time isn’t on your side or you’d simply prefer to avoid driving to the beach, keep cool at a hotel’s outdoor pool. Offering stunning views of the city, the Met Hotel rooftop pool is open to the public for 15 euros per person during the week (and 28 on the weekend). Alternatively, the pool at Capsis Hotel on Monastiriou has beautiful views over Ano Poli.
Chill at the port
For a cool spot to hang out with friends, the port area is a great place to be, with its cafés, museums, and sea breezes. As one of the city’s hip cultural hubs, the port often plays host to events, or just take a walk on the waterfront, with its small fountains that provide a cool break from the heat.
Sightsee the smart way
As one of the most walkable cities in Greece, Thessaloniki is a sightseeing haven. UNESCO-listed churches, Roman ruins, unique buildings reflecting the mixed heritage of the city… there are plenty of sights to keep you busy during your stay. Visit places with air conditioning during the day, have a leisurely lunch, then resume the indoor visits in the afternoon.
Watch a movie under the stars
Thessaloniki is home to a few open-air cinemas. Check out Ciné Natali in the center, or catch a film on the roof of the M2 of the Thessaloniki Concert Hall during the summer film festival “Movie with a view”.
Thessaloniki has a collection of covered markets, ideal for escaping the heat. Often included as a stop on food tours, these markets offer a glimpse into the city’s rich past and contemporary food scene. As you explore the city you may also stumble across commercial arcades, or stoas, where small bars, boutiques and stores are another great excuse to stay indoors.
Combine coffee and culture
Check out some of Thessaloniki’s multi-purpose venues that double as art galleries and as places to just sit and relax. For example, the Ancient Agora is home to several artsy places where locals hang out while enjoying a coffee. Also check out Container Art Café, 2 Concept Store, or Ypsilon, a recent addition housed in an eclectic building.
Get on a floating bar
Want to see Thessaloniki from another vantage point while staying away from the heat? Get out onto the water. A unique and original way to do so is to visit the city’s pirate-themed floating bar, Arabella. The ride is technically free, but you must consume at least 3 euros’ worth of drinks per person. Grab a table, order a drink and enjoy the half-hour cruise along the Thermaic Gulf.
Have a picnic
Green areas and parks are dotted throughout the city and the waterfront. Make an afternoon of it and pack a delicious lunch to enjoy in a park. There are many places in town, but for a bit of an excursion, head to the Seih Sou Forest.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.