Are you visiting Thessaloniki? Great! This dynamic city has a lot to offer, whether you are looking for great eats, vibrant art or age-old monuments. And even if your budget is restricted, there are plenty of things to do in and around the city without having to spend too much. Here are the best things to do for free in Thessaloniki, Greece.
Have a picnic at one of the city’s parks and green spaces
Thessaloniki boasts a beautiful coastal pedestrian area with the backdrop of Thermaikos Gulf, which spreads from the port to the Concert Hall. Whether you feel like taking a break from the city pleasures or opt for a relaxing picnic in a lovely spot, there are plenty of places to enjoy. Besides the seaside parks, Thessaloniki also borders the Seih Sou Forest, a green oasis located next to the Agios Pavlos district. Once you’ve decided where you want to go, you can grab some delicious sandwiches or a basket of tasty delicacies from one of the markets in town and head to your picnic spot.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Discover a fascinating page of history with a visit to the Ataturk Museum, which is housed in the home where the founder of modern Turkey, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, was born, in the suburb of Thessaloniki. The house, given to the Turkish State, includes most of the original furniture. The highlight of the museum is the room where Ataturk was born, located on the second floor.
Explore the city’s traditional markets
It is not for nothing that Thessaloniki is known as the gastronomic capital of Greece. In fact, the city owes it rich and vibrant food scene to its mixed cultural heritage, the variety of local delicacies and food products and the innovative minds of its culinary stakeholders. To get a glimpse of this, visit one of its three must-see markets in the city, such as the Modiano and Kapani markets, as well as the market in Athonos Square. Home to a variety of vendors specializing in fresh produce, meat and fish, nuts, spices and other treats, these are the center of the wonderful culinary world of Greece’s second city.
Few people know that Thessaloniki was home to a large population of Jews in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, earning it the name of the City of Ghosts. Get acquainted with this forgotten past at the Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki, which includes a wide collection of historical artifacts and photographic exhibitions. As one of the most important places devoted to a major ethnic community that shaped the city’s modern identity, the Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki attracts visitors from across the world.
Take a free walking tour
Since walking is the best way to explore Thessaloniki, have a go at one of the many free walking tours operating in the city. Just make sure to have a good pair of walking shoes and have a look at the free tours available.
Home to over 1,000 works of art, the Municipal Art Gallery in Thessaloniki is one of the free attractions of the city. The gallery is housed in the stunning Casa Bianca—an example of Eclecticism architecture on Vassilissis Olgas Avenue—is split into several collections of works by foreign and Greek artists and organizes regular exhibitions of Greek talent.
Wander the narrow streets in the Old Town
One of the most popular experiences in Thessaloniki is totally free—unless you decide to have a meal or a drink at one of the many cafés and tavernas in the area. Thessaloniki’s Ano Poli (or Upper Town) is a little jewel of an area that escaped the 1917 Great Fire intact. As such, it boasts old houses with lush gardens and courtyards. While some constructions are in ruin, the area certainly deserves a visit.
The Yedi Kule fortress, also known as the Heptapyrgion, or Eptapyrgio, is a true vestige of the Byzantine and Ottoman past in Thessaloniki. Part of the former acropolis complex of the city, it served as the garrison for the city guards and was converted into a prison, in use until 1989.
Create a personalized tour of the city’s top art galleries
Are you into art? Then you are in luck as Thessaloniki boasts a collection of impressive art galleries covering a vast area of art genres and styles. While you may have to spend a small sum for an organized art tour, you can definitely take the initiative to create your own art excursion. Take inspiration from our roundup of the top galleries in town and explore the fascinating art scene of Thessaloniki.
Dedicated to the patron of the city, the Church of Agios Dimitrios is one of the largest churches in Greece. A fine example of late Byzantine architecture, the church became a mosque under Ottoman occupation, and several of its mosaics and murals were destroyed. Agios Dimitrios is known for its blend of architectural styles, but probably the most striking feature is the underground crypt that has been preserved throughout the years. The church was rediscovered after the 1917 Great Fire and restored in 1988. Tradition has it that Saint Dimitrios was imprisoned there and died in 303 A.D. The crypt is thought to be part of a larger network of underground tunnels extending over the whole city.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.