Young pianist Aaron Monteverde has dedicated years of his life to fulfil his duty as the child piano virtuoso in his native Gibraltar. Kayleigh Moreno has spent some time with Aaron Monteverde, getting to know the person behind the fifty-two white keys.
Aaron Monteverde, a Gibraltarian concert pianist and composer born in 1981, was proclaimed as a child prodigy in his homeland. The mixture of Italian, Spanish, Moroccan and Gibraltarian blood that flows through his veins is clearly apparent in his harmonic compositions. His modern yet classically trained dexterity finds its summit in the melodious soundscapes of flamenco.
Aaron first started playing at the age of three, after his aunt bought him a Casio PT-1 mini keyboard with which he spent many of his waking childhood hours on, and which he still keeps in his home as a cherished souvenir of his first step towards his path as a renowned pianist.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
‘The living embodiment of his piano’ – that’s how Aaron is best described; his normality oozes eccentricity, his hands express great restlessness and his personality is cheerful, conspicuous, unique. In other words, he is a true ´artist´, and a ´living symphony of emotions´. During the course of our conversation, Aaron admits that by now, at age thirty-two, he has devoted a lifetime to music in order to entertain the public; though this has consumed most of his energy, but he regrets no part of. His career commenced when he taught himself to play the piano for a year at just three years of age. He recalled how his father, a construction worker, wanted his son to follow in his footsteps and was unsure about sending him to lessons at such a tender age. But his parents soon came to terms with Aaron’s obsessive behaviour, which had him focusing all his attention on his small Casio keyboard. They chose to send him to piano lessons, thanks to which he gained more basic technical skills and captivated his music teachers. Aaron explains how, at the age of five, he was asked to step in for the music teacher on various occasions and play the St Joseph’s school anthem on the piano during assembly.
In 1995, after winning a local talent show, Aaron was spotted by a recognised Spanish flamenco pianist and composer, Maestro Felipe Campuzano. Campuzano soon became Aaron’s mentor and close friend, the person who influenced his life and career the most. During this time, Aaron grew as a musician and blossomed into a young man, having lived life to the fullest at such a young age, travelling and mingling with well-known Spanish celebrities and musicians.
During his teenage years, he met Camaron De La Isla´s son at a music festival where they both played; they quickly decided to collaborate. Aaron was offered the chance to tour around Andalucia playing with Camaron De La Isla´s son, Antonio Reyes and Quino Roman (Camaron´s brother-in-law), as well as various other talented acts, but had to turn down the deal as he was leaving to study for a Music degree in the UK.
Aaron spent the next few years working towards a first-class BA (Hons) degree in Music from the University of Chichester. He then went on to gain a Master’s degree in Music composition and performance from Trinity College of Music in London. Aaron recalls how he would spend around 10 hours a day in solitude practising non-stop, and all he could talk about was music.
After his studies, he spent over a month travelling around Taiwan. He mentions that whilst in Taipei, he spontaneously ended up playing at the city’s National Flamenco Festival, which he signed himself up for and played at on the same day. Luckily, a few hours before the show commenced, he was able to find a concert piano, which was generously loaned by a local inhabitant. Aaron spent the next couple of years expanding his curriculum and skills as a musician, composer and performer, playing in venues around Andalucia, Gibraltar and the UK, at events such as the Variety Club Showbiz Awards 2008 at the Grosvenor Park Hotel in London. In addition to this, he also performed at many other private functions for significant people such as La Duquesa De Alba in Spain, showcased his abilities on national television contests and offered his time to play at charity concerts.
After two years spent behind the scenes, Aaron is now coming back stronger than ever and ready to perform in any venue. He strongly believes that he lives to entertain and his love for music is stronger than any obstacles.
Aaron will be touring across the USA, Dubai and playing in venues in London and around the UK during 2014-2015.
By Kayleigh Moreno
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.