If there was ever a competition for the most romantic town, the vibrant university town of Heidelberg would be a top contender. Its crumbling castle, beautiful houses, cobbled streets, lush hills, ancient squares and gorgeous river views make it look like something straight out of a picture book. Dive right in as we explore the undeniable charm of this medieval German city.
Explore a beautiful castle
Heidelberg Castle is the icon of Heidelberg and among the most achingly beautiful castles in all of Germany. Its crumbling walls preserve almost eight centuries of history, while each building of the castle ensemble represents a different period of German architecture. While the castle poses a magnificent view perched atop a verdant hill, it also offers beautiful views of the city and the Neckar River from its premises.
Schlosshof 1, Heidelberg, Germany, +49 6221 658880
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
See the world’s largest wine barrel
When you visit Heidelberg Castle, don’t leave before checking out the world’s largest wine barrel in the castle basement. The barrel, known as Heidelberg Tun, can potentially hold up to 221,726 litres (58,574 US gallons), though it has never really been used for storing wine. To add to the uniqueness of the setting, a dance floor has been set up on top of the barrel, reachable via a wooden staircase.
Visit fantastic museums
Heidelberg’s many interesting museums are a great way to incorporate culture into your holiday. The Pharmacy Museum (Deutsches Apotheken-Museum) housed in Heidelberg Castle walks visitors through 2,000 years of medicinal history with exhibits such as medicines, medical equipment and herbs used across the centuries. The University Museum (Universitätsmuseum), meanwhile, gives you a chance to learn about the long and rich heritage of Heidelberg University. It is situated next door to the Heidelberg University Karzer, a student jail preserved in an almost-original state. For those keen to know more about art and history, the Cultural Museum (Kurpfälzisches Museum) showcases paintings and a series of exhibits of archeological interest.
Pharmacy Museum – Heidelberg Castle, Schlosshof 1, Heidelberg, Germany, +49 6221 25880
University Museum – Grabengasse 1, Heidelberg, Germany, +49 6221 543593
Cultural Museum – Hauptstraße 97, Heidelberg, Germany, +49 6221 5834020
Seek out romantic nooks
Heidelberg is undeniably one of the most romantic cities in Germany. Heidelberg Castle itself, enjoying a fairy-tale setting atop forested hills, symbolizes German Romanticism. A palpable air of romance hovers over its crumbling walls and beautiful courtyards. Additionally, the cobble-stoned old town of Heidelberg lined by charming boutiques, half-timbered houses and cozy restaurants is sure to inspire the romantic in you. A favorite activity for couples is to walk the Philosophenweg (Philosophers’ Walk) hand in hand, enjoying beautiful vistas of the Neckar River and blissful contemplation.
Get inspired to pen a poem
Philosopher’s Walk is believed to have been the inspiration behind many famous poems and thoughts. When you embark on a stroll along this iconic road, you will have no trouble understanding why. The path meanders along along the Saints’ Mountain, and promises unparalleled views of the castle, Neckar River and the city. Even if you don’t end up penning a ground-breaking poem, the path will surely prompt you to appreciate the beauty of life.
Be blessed by a monkey
Don’t underestimate the monkey perched on Heidelberg’s Old Bridge as just another bronze sculpture. Visitors flock to seek the blessings of this celebrity monkey, which has been around (albeit in different avatars) since the 15th century. Legend goes that rubbing the ‘mirror’ in the monkey’s paw will bring financial prosperity, while rubbing the monkey’s fingers will ensure that you visit this beautiful city again. Additionally, those wishing for children are believed to be blessed with fertility if they pet the tiny bronze mouse next to the monkey.
Dig into delicious local fare
When it comes to food, Heidelberg locals don’t mess around. The local fare in Heidelberg is hearty, known for its huge portions, and is downright delicious. If you try one regional specialty in Heidelberg, let it be Saumagen, a unique delicacy of boiled pig’s stomach stuffed with pork, sausages, bacon, potatoes and sometimes sweet chestnuts, and served with potato salad or sauerkraut. If you have a sweet tooth, don’t miss quetschekuchen (plum tart) and studentenkuss, a mouthwatering treat made of waffle, nougat and dark chocolate.
Visit Germany’s oldest university
Heidelberg University’s significance lies in the fact that, built in 1386, it is Germany’s oldest university and among the oldest active universities in the whole world. It remains to this day among the most prestigious universities across the globe, and receives applications from thousands of hopeful students each year from near and far. Many notable personalities have walked the sprawling premises of this university, in the role of faculty or pupil. The university has also been featured in literary works and movies.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.