Heidelberg and the entire Palatinate region is home to serious food aficionados—regional specialities are made from refined staple foods, such as pork and potatoes, to make creative dishes that have been enjoyed by generations. These are our top picks for the foods you should try when you’re in Heidelberg.
The most popular and renowned dish in the entire region is saumagen, which is German for ‘sow’s stomach’. It’s a pretty spot-on name for the delicacy, which is a pig’s stomach stuffed with lean and cured pork and sausage meat, bacon, potatoes and, if in season, sweet chestnuts. This is all tied up and boiled until done. Slices of saumagen are served with fried potatoes, sauerkraut and rye bread and paired with local white wine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Heidelberg’s most popular souvenir is a studentenkuss, or a ‘student’s kiss’. Don’t take the name too literally, though, as is it merely describes a confection made of waffle, nougat and dark chocolate. The treat was first made in 1863 by Heidelberg’s oldest café, Café Knösel.
From potatoes to yeast to bread, Germans love their dumplings and Palatinate locals are fans of a meaty variety of the dish. Leberknödel, or lewwerkneedl as they’re called in Heidelberg, can be found on many restaurant menus in the region and are made of beef liver, minced meat, eggs, soaked bread buns and seasoning and are then either steamed or sliced and pan-fried. You can often order them with soup, in gravy or with a side of potatoes and sauerkraut.
A Palatinate speciality that vegetarians can enjoy is the dampfnudeln. Part of the appeal of this regional pasta dish is that it’s so versatile—the dough is made with a no-fuss recipe of flour, yeast, milk and salt, formed into fist-sized balls and then fried and steamed in a tightly closed pot until the rolls form a thick crust. Many of Heidelberg’s traditional restaurants incorporate dampfnudeln in both sweet and savoury meals, like soup, alongside goulash or topped with vanilla sauce.
For some reason, Germans are obsessed with white asparagus and the harvesting season is rung in with the Palatinate Spargelzeit festival every year. From April to the end of June, the menus of Heidelberg’s restaurants offer a plethora of asparagus dishes. If you want to try the real deal, order a plate of asparagus with hollandaise sauce, which is made of egg yolk, molten butter, water and lemon juice.
Making these special potato Klöße is fairly time-consuming, but most locals deem it worth the effort. Boiled and grated raw potatoes are meshed together with eggs and flour, formed into balls and a piece of liver sausage is pressed into the middle of each before they’re boiled. They’re best enjoyed in a creamy sauce with chunks of bacon.
Time for dessert! If you see quetschekuchen written on the menu, you can brace yourself for a delightful slice of plum tart. Heidelberg’s regional take on plum tart is made with a sheet cake with a yeast dough base, a layer of fresh plums sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and a glaze of apricot jam. It may seem odd, but in the Heidelberg region, a plum tart is often served with potato soup, a combination that generations of Germans have grown up with.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.