The small, vibrant university town of Marburg is known for its quintessentially German medieval flair. Whether you want to walk in the steps of the Grimm Brothers and relive childhood fairy tales, or take in the town’s history with a visit to the romantic Marburg Castle, there’s something for everyone. Take the time to get lost in Marburg’s picture-book cobbled alleys with our guide to the best experiences around.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Marburger Schloss (also known as Landgrafenschloss Marburg), set dramatically atop Schlossberg hill, gazes down at one of the most romantic cities in Germany, Marburg. The castle is a fitting icing on the cake for the city that inspired several of the Grimm Brothers’ fairy tales. The University Museum for Cultural History walks visitors through the interesting past of this gorgeous 13th century castle.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Waggonhalle culture center is the one-stop shop for your culture and entertainment fix when in Marburg. From wrestling matches to cabaret, music concerts to plays, dance shows to circus performances, this spot hosts an event almost every day of the year. The schedule is available on their official website. You can top off your visit with a great meal at Rotkehlchen restaurant on the premises, which is known for delicious food served in a cozy, rustic environment.
Marburg Altstadt (old town) is the perfect place to soak up the medieval flair of Marburg. As you walk the romantic cobbled alleys lined by half-timbered houses from various eras and punctuated by steep steps, you’ll find it easy to understand why the Brothers Grimm were so enchanted with this town. Jacob Grimm penned in a letter to his friend Paul Wiegand his feelings about Marburg when he stated that: “I believe there are more steps on the street than in the houses. One even enters one house through the roof.” The town hall, built in 1512, is the most noteworthy landmark in Marburg old town. You will also find rows of cute shops, restaurants and cafes in this square, which comes to life with the merry chatter of locals and tourists, especially in summer.
Grimm Path is your chance to live the fairy tales that were probably a big part of your bedtime. The path, inaugurated in April 2012, connects fairy tale figures from the famous Grimm stories. These installations adorn walls, houses and steps, some reaching up to a height of up to 109 meters (358 feet). These are accompanied by interesting tidbits of information about the beloved Brothers and their magical tales. To do this self-guided tour, pick up a QR-coded, smartphone-compatible map at the Marburg Stadt und Land Tourismus GmbH (Biegenstraße 15).
Kaiser Wilhelm Tower
The 36 meter (118 foot)-high Kaiser Wilhelm Tower is known for the uninterrupted views it offers across Feldberg in the Taunus, the Kahlen Asten in the Sauerland and the Wasserkuppe of the Rhön. This is also the perfect place to catch a glorious sunset. In fact, this romantic tower has witnessed many proposals over the years. The TurmCafé housed in the tower offers delicious food and hosts cultural events on a regular basis.
The Philipps University of Marburg, founded in 1527, is one of the oldest universities in Germany and famous for its scientific research and coveted prizes. A large chunk of Marburg’s population is made of students of this university, which contributes to the vibrant, young atmosphere of the town. Many legendary personalities have received their education at this university, including the Brothers Grimm. The lessons they received about the history of the German language and literature and folktales here undeniably shaped the magic they weaved with words. Other than its historic and educational importance, it is also a magnificent architectural structure to admire and photograph.
St. Elizabeth’s Church
St. Elizabeth’s Church, the construction of which started in 1235, is as important a landmark of Marburg as Marburg Castle. This charismatic sandstone church is one of the first and few examples of pure Gothic architecture and was used as a model for the iconic Cologne Cathedral. Its striking features include a 20 meter (66 foot)-high vaulted ceiling, the Gothic shrine of St. Elizabeth, and an ornate main portal.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.