The German city of Ludwigsburg enjoys a quiet existence by the River Neckar in the state of Baden-Württemberg. This charming 18th-century city is not exactly a tourist hotspot, but travelers who find themselves in Ludwigsburg can’t help being captivated by its charm. Ludwigsburg has enough attractions to keep travelers happy for at least a few days.
The sprawling Ludwigsburg Palace complex is one of the few Baroque buildings in Europe that still exist in their original condition. The palace offers public guided tours of its interiors replete with royal splendor. Visitors to the palace are invariably impressed by the ornate hallways, the marble hall, the magnificent theater with its original machinery, the royal furniture, and the gorgeous intricately designed residential apartments. The Keramikmuseum with its unbeatable collection of porcelain, ceramic, and stone artifacts is also definitely worth a visit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Blühendes Barock gardens
The Blühendes Barock gardens (Baroque in Bloom) surrounding the Ludwigsburg Palace increase the beauty of the palace by several notches. The garden, spread over 30 hectares, is a delightful mix of intricate landscaping from different eras and regions. Hours melt away unnoticed as visitors savor the riot of blooms, tree-shaded boulevards, exotic birds, garden ornaments, and the Emichsburg Palace. Little guests can’t help falling in love with the Fairy-Tale Garden, which has 30 magical settings, including Frog Prince and Sleeping Beauty.
Favorite Castle and Park
The Schloss Favorite was built in the early 1700s as a hunting lodge and summer residence for Duke Eberhard Ludwig. Today, the palace invites guests to tour its original neoclassical interiors, with intricate chandeliers, ancient clocks, and ornate mirrors. Visitors get a feel of how the royals relaxed in luxurious armchairs while enjoying gorgeous views of the surrounding 72 hectares of parklands and dined in style using golden tableware.
Monrepos is another gorgeous palace in Ludwigsburg and considered to be a brilliant example of rococo architecture. It enjoys a picture-perfect location by the lake. Travelers love rowing on the lake, enjoying a quiet, peaceful time of bird-watching, and being one with nature. In autumn, this spot is especially beautiful with the leaves around Monrepos turning russet, copper, and bright yellow.
Baroque Christmas Market
It’s hard to believe but the quiet little town of Ludwigsburg that is often overlooked by travelers hosts one of the most enchanting Christmas markets in all of Germany. Thousands of sparkling light bulbs, majestic angel structures, carousels, 170 brightly decorated stalls, and the intoxicating aroma of mulled wine and roasted chestnuts transform the Market Square of the city into one magical land. The market also hosts special events like puppet shows, glass carvings, magic shows, clown shows, and live music.
Ludswigsburg is best known for the Largest Pumpkin Festival in the World, held in September-October at the Blühendes Barock gardens. Hundreds of thousands of fun-seekers flock to this festival to feast their eyes on 400,000 pumpkins across 800 varieties and indulge in a host of pumpkin-related activities, entertainment, contests, art and sculpture, and a variety of foods and drinks.
Visitors interested in learning more about the history of the city of Ludwigsburg must head to the Ludwigsburg Museum. The exhibition rooms of the museum have an impressive collection of artifacts that tell the story of Ludwigsburg as a residential town, an art hub, an industrial center, and a garrison. The museum documents through words and pictures the significant historical events witnessed by the city, architecture of the Ludwigsburg Palace, the socio-economic-political evolution of the city, and a lot more.
The vibrant Old Town of Ludwigsburg charms travelers with its typical Swabian culture, historic architecture and merry crowds. Theodor Heuss, the first President of the Federal Republic of Germany, was so impressed with the Ludwigsburg Old Town that he labelled it “the proudest square that Württemberg has.” Travelers interested in a dose of culture would enjoy checking out famous German poet, doctor, and medical author Justinius Kerner’s house, poet and writer Friedrich Theodor Vischer’s birthplace, and theologist and literature historian David Friedrich Strauss’s home. The Old Town also has many choices in restaurants and cafés, and is a great spot to indulge in some people-watching.
Evangelical city church
The Evangelical church (Evangelische Stadtkirche) is a pride of the Old Town of Ludwigsburg. Travelers don’t need to be religious in order to appreciate its beautiful Baroque architecture and pleasing symmetry. Visitors are welcome to walk inside and enjoy its peaceful atmosphere.
Travelers wishing to try their luck might enjoy making a stop at Casino Royal. Operated by Germany’s reputed Casino Royale Gruppe, this casino offers high-quality games in a relaxed atmosphere. It welcomes visitors aged 18 and above.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.