The 1000-year-old city of Meissen, perched on the banks of the River Elbe, is an incredibly beautiful sight. Here, the broody hilltop Albrechtsburg Castle towers over a picturesque Old Town, mile after mile of rolling vineyards, and a gorgeous river valley. Let’s plan a memorable getaway to the city of music, porcelain, and superb architecture. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
The hilltop Albrechtsburg Castle is often referred to as Germany’s oldest castle, as the existence of its fortifications can be traced back to the 900s, though the castle itself was built in the 15th century. Experts agree that its spectacular Gothic architecture is not just a specimen of artistic brilliance but also a structure much ahead of its time. After all, its cellular vaulting, regal staircase tower, and arched windows lend the castle the kind of class that wasn’t common in the period to which it belongs. The castle is accessible by foot or the super-fast Panoramaaufzug Burgberg.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Domplatz 1, 01662 Meißen, Germany, +49 (0) 3521 47070
Since the early 18th century, the city of Meissen has almost been synonymous with porcelain manufacture. Porcelain Manufactory is a tribute to the rich porcelain heritage of the city and the amazing workmanship of its natives. In this establishment, visitors get to learn how delicate porcelain items are created and laboriously hand-painted. In the adjoining Neoclassical museum, you can admire a breathtaking collection of porcelain items made over the centuries.
Talstraße 9, 01662 Meißen, Germany, +49 (0) 3521 468208
City Museum (Stadtmuseum)
The City Museum, housed in a former Franciscan monastery, walks visitors through the evolution of Meissen over 1,000 years. Here, you can delve deep into the history of the city and learn about its porcelain heritage, the construction of the city cathedral and Meissen’s social, economic, and religious developments over the centuries. This information is accompanied by an assortment of interesting exhibits, including the largest and oldest wine press of Saxony and sewing machines, porcelain, bicycles, pistols, and more, all belonging to various eras.
Heinrichsplatz 3, 01662 Meißen, Germany, +49 (0) 3521 458857
Meissen Cathedral (Dom Zu Meissen)
Meissen Cathedral, adjacent to the castle, is deemed to be a classic and stunning specimen of Gothic architecture. This cathedral, built between 1260 and 1410, has been preserved in its near-original medieval condition. When you visit, take special note of the massive 13th-century polychrome statues of Holy Roman Emperor Otto I and his wife, Adelaide of Burgundy, and the Protestant pulpit.
Standing proud in Meissen’s bustling market square, the town hall (Rathaus) is a pleasure for the eyes. It has a series of three gorgeous dormers adorning a very steep saddle roof. It houses a traditional German restaurant on the ground floor.
Markt 1, 01662 Meißen, Germany, +49 (0) 3521 4670
You can’t leave Meissen without trying the city’s famous delicacy, Fummel, best enjoyed with coffee. It is basically a puffed-up, fragile pastry, dusted with sugar and with a rich filling of – air!
Meissen is one of the most important hubs of wine production in Saxony, making wine-tasting the most popular tourist activity in town. While there are endless excellent taverns and wineries in Meissen, Schloss Proschwitz deserves special mention. It is the oldest private winery in Saxony and has been delighting wine connoisseurs since the 12th century. Here, visitors get to enjoy incredible views of the castle, the cathedral and the Elbe River, while sipping a glass or two of refreshing wine. You can also purchase your favorite wine to take home.
Heiliger Grund 2, 01665 Meißen, Germany, +49 (0) 3521 40600
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.