Berlin is full of great places to kick back and while the evening away with a bottle of wine: from intimate bars specialising in organic natural wines and sun-drenched drinking terraces, to Friedrichshain haunts serving German, Hungarian and Austrian vintages. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the trendy Friedrichshain neighbourhood, Noble Rot primarily serves German, Hungarian, and Austrian wines. This is the place to be if you want to improve your knowledge of (fairly) locally produced wines, sampling flavours from the likes of Germany’s Pfalz, Saar and Württemberg regions. When it comes to Hungary, the popular Tokaj name is well-represented here, as well as spicy white wines from the Somló region, which pair nicely with the varied selection of cakes and sweets. German and Hungarian wines may not have the same international clout as their French counterparts, but a trip to Noble Rot might just convert you.
Vin Aqua Vin
You’re in Neukölln, one of Europe’s (if not the world’s) coolest neighbourhoods. At Vin Aqua Vin, Neukölln’s most popular wine bar and shop, not only can visitors purchase fairly priced bottles of German and New World vintages to take away but also, for a reasonable corkage fee, choose to drink them in the chic surrounds of the bar. As interesting as the wine bar’s carefully curated offerings are (take a look at their unusual sparkling selection, which includes Sekt and Cava), it is the monthly classes that draw people in – these cover a variety of topics, from tasting seminars to introductions and regional wines.
Tastavin lies in the multicultural, up-and-coming western Kiez (neighbourhood) of Moabit. Run by old friends Xavier and Max, Berliners are lured over from the established hangout spots of Kreuzberg and Neukölln by the best and most diverse list of Gallic wines in the city. The owners take wine seriously, asking visitors if they would like to sample vintages from the likes of Burgundy and the Rhône, with free tasting sessions held during the week. Considering this is a quieter neighbourhood, the fact that Tastavin is always busy is indicative of its quality.
Forum Weinerei Café
The concept at this Mitte wine bar is a little bit different. On the weekend, you can pay a small fixed entrance fee that comes with an empty glass. You take said glass to the bar and drink to your heart’s content – paying at the end of the night for what you think is a fair price. The fun part is guessing how valuable each of the wines available are. If you have the chance to come to Forum Weinerei Café on Friday or Saturday, come early: seats fill up fast.
While Weinhaus Huth’s restaurant, delicatessen and wine store offer an exceptional range of vintages and hearty Austrian cuisine, it is the building’s historical heritage that is the biggest draw. Built in 1912, Weinhaus Huth is one of the few remaining traces of pre-WWII Potsdamer Platz; thanks to its innovative steel frame, the building was able to survive the wartime bombing raids. It is said that German novelist Theodor Fontane and fairytale masters the Brothers Grimm enjoyed having a glass or two here, so customers can drink safe in the knowledge that they are following in the footsteps of wine-loving literary greats. Start your evening at Weinhaus Huth with a visit to Daimler Contemporary on the 4th floor – a stylish gallery hosting a rotating schedule of edgy art exhibits – or a stop at the nearby iconic Checkpoint Charlie.
Hans Rheinhessische Weinstube
The namesake of this small bar, Hans, is a hearty, larger-than-life character who enjoys mingling and joking with guests. Hans himself grew up by a vineyard as the son of a winemaker in Mainz, and sources most of his bottles from there, meaning that this wine bar is a deeply personal project. Hessian dishes – meaning food typical of central Germany’s Hesse region – from his childhood also dominate the menu. The nearby Tiergarten park offers the chance for a scenic afternoon stroll – and a chance to work off the Sauerbraten (German pot roast).
Baden im Wein
This is a local favourite in Prenzlauer Berg, and is considered one of the gems of the neighbourhood. Baden im Wein offers 90 affordable wines from throughout Germany and other European countries in a sleek and stylish setting. In summer, the outdoor terrace is the perfect place to grab a table and watch Berlin go by, surrounded by flowers and strangers who happily strike up spontaneous conversation.
Sorsi e Morsi
It’s near impossible to talk wine without mentioning Italy. While German and French vintages are well represented on this list, Sorsi e Morsi is the place to go for fans of Barolo or Chianti (and other wines from Il Bel Paese). That isn’t all this cosy neighbourhood bar has going for it, though; the cheese and meat boards come highly recommended, and an evening spent at Sorsi e Morsi, despite the high-quality wines and impeccable service, is surprisingly affordable.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Alice Dundon.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.