Berlin is the perfect mix of grit, history and culture that’s sure to delight visitors with its pulsing nightlife, world-class galleries and mouthwatering gastronomy. From Monday to Sunday the German capital is brimming with culture and excitement – here’s how to spend the most perfect week in Berlin.
Day 1 – Monday
Start your perfect week in Berlin by experiencing the city from above, at the Reichstag Dome. Admission is free, however, guests should register online to skip the queue and secure their spot. From the rooftop terrace atop Berlin’s iconic parliament building, visitors can take in stunning city views over the city’s parliamentary district.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
From here visitors can cross off two more important historic sites, the Brandenburg Gate and the Holocaust Memorial. Just 4 minutes on foot from the Reichstag, the Brandenburg Gate is Berlin’s only surviving historic city gate, and attained its icon status during the Cold War, with numerous political gatherings and speeches taking place there. After the Berlin Wall fell, the gate went on to become a symbol of a reunified Germany. The neo-classical sight is a must-see in Mitte and places you less than 10 minutes from the Holocaust Memorial. Located in the heart of Berlin, the memorial is a place of contemplation and remembrance. Wander the subtle grey pillars that span over 19,000 sq. metres (204,514 sq. feet), and consist of 2,711 concrete slabs, to explore one of Germany’s most well-known and significant memorial sights from World War II.
End your day of historic sightseeing with a leisurely stroll through Tiergarten, Berlin’s largest and most beautiful park. From here, visitors can enjoy a romantic row-boat ride in the park’s large lake, or grab a bite to eat at nearby restaurants.
Day 2 – Tuesday
Every Tuesday in the foyer of the stunning Berlin Philharmonie free lunchtime concerts are held by Musikschule Reinickendorf. Beginning each week at 1pm, these exclusive musical delights often fill up fast, so it’s best to head over to this central, beautiful part of Berlin early to line up. Music-lovers will rejoice in this unique and intimate chance to be serenaded for 40-50 minutes at the free classical and jazz concerts.
After your afternoon musical fix, it’s time for some more sightseeing. Checkpoint Charlie is located roughly a 30-minute walk or 10-minute bus ride from the Berliner Philharmonie. Here you’ll take in one of the most recognisable spots from the Cold War and although it’s a little kitschy and very touristy, Checkpoint Charlie is also one of the top ten sights in Berlin as it bore witness to much of the city’s tumultuous past.
Day 3 – Wednesday
Start your third day in the German capital exploring the infamous Museum Island. The epicentre of Berlin’s thriving art scene, visitors can discover the Bust of Nefertiti, the Gates of Babylon and so much more at the island’s five world-class museums.
Watch day slip into the night as you museum hop around the island, ending this culture-packed exploration at one of the swanky cocktail bars in nearby Mitte.
Day 4 – Thursday
Spend your Thursday in Berlin exploring the vibrant, trendy neighbourhood, Kreuzberg. Sharing its border with Friedrichshain, this cool spot houses some of the city’s best cheap eats, trendy bars and the must-see East Side Gallery. Spanning 1,316 metres (4,318 feet), it’s the largest remaining stretch of the Berlin Wall, paying a colourful tribute to the once oppressive structure. Visitors are invited to wander the wall at their leisure, or by guided tour and can also cross the red-bricked Oberbaum Bridge off their list while they’re at it. The busy towered bridge now connects Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg, however when the wall stood it was a chaotic no man’s land, that lay witness to many heroic and tragic escapes from East to West.
In the summer this Spree-side spot is also a popular hang out for Berlin’s trendy, young locals, who often fill their bike baskets up with beer from the local Späti before nestling in to enjoy them under the sun.
End your evening at the weekly street food market, Street Food Thursdays, enjoying the best fast-casual bites Berlin has on offer. Housed in Markthalle Neun, a beautiful, sprawling market hall in the heart of Kreuzberg, this is the perfect spot to explore the city’s evolving and diverse culinary scene, before heading out to enjoy a night drinking your way through Kreuzberg’s many bars.
Day 5 – Friday
Friday in Friedrichshain will put you on familiar turf, after spending Thursday in closeby Kreuzberg. Start your day in this artistic hub at Urban Spree, exploring the weird and wonderful world of this multifaceted contemporary art gallery. Hosting regular exhibitions, DIY workshops, a large beer garden and irregular concerts, Urban Spree home to some of Berlin’s best underground art and artists.
Also, pack your swimming gear because next door to Urban Spree, is Haubentaucher, Berlin’s coolest, hidden open-air pool. Housed in a repurposed large brick building, this spot blends industrial charm with Mediterranean luxury, making it one of the city’s coolest urban hotspots. With plenty of sun loungers, a chic infinity pool and thumping music to set the mood, Haubentaucher is the perfect spot to spend a sunny afternoon.
Next head over to Simon-Dach-Straße, a lively strip in this trendy neighbourhood housing a variety of the city’s cosy, quirky bars. Located just a stone’s throw from some of the city’s best techno clubs, it’s a great spot to start out or end your day in this underground, cool neighbourhood.
Day 6 – Saturday
Continue your affair with über-cool Berlin, by spending a day in multicultural Neukölln. Start out by treating yourself to brunch and some vintage shopping on Weserstraße, weaving your way through populated streets, Pannierstraße and Reuterstraße. Next walk up the hill to Tempelhof Feld, the huge former airport-turned-lush park that houses a quaint community garden, tons of old-school relics and plenty of space to relax or enjoy some sports in the sun.
No day in Neukölln would be complete without experiencing the rich blend of flavours on Berlin’s Arab Street. The vibrant mecca boasts some of the city’s best Middle-Eastern food, so head here for a quick bite before making your way over to Klunkerkranich. This not-so-secret hidden rooftop bar boasts sweeping city views, great music and cheap drinks.
Day 7 – Sunday
End your last day in Berlin, in true Berliner fashion by enjoying a Sunday in Mauerpark. An eclectic mix, Mauerpark offers tasty street food, cheap beers and a treasure trove of vintage goods. The park comes to life on Sundays with musical delights, boasting a range of street buskers and the well-known Bearpit Karaoke session, where daring locals and tourists take to the park’s huge amphitheatre to show off their best jams. The ideal spot to spend a Sunday, Mauerpark is a lively blend of all the quirky, cool things that make Berlin the city it is today.
If you’re feeling daring, end your last evening in Berlin in true club kid style at Berghain. Soak in the infamous nightlife at the place that put the city on the map for techno by indulging in a truly wild final evening at this hedonistic haven.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.