Dresden is a fascinating city to explore, especially if you are interested in history, architecture, and culture. But if you are lucky enough to have some extra time on your hands, you have the chance to discover equally amazing places near Dresden that are perfect for short stopovers. Whether you like snow-blanketed mountain towns, folk art, or stunning palaces, futuristic cities, spa towns, or majestic rocks, our list of weekend trips from Dresden will not disappoint you.
Saxon Switzerland National Park
Saxon Switzerland National Park is the most popular day trip option from Dresden. But if you stay the night, you get to enjoy the tranquility of this unique natural paradise after the day trippers have left. It would also give you the chance to enjoy the highlights of the park at leisure without having to rush from one sight to another. The charming town of Pirna and the spa town of Bad Schaundau are the most popular towns in the region for overnight stays. Explore the grand wilderness of the park, take a killer selfie at the Bastei Bridge, and enjoy beautiful views of the Elbe River. Other famous landmarks in the park are Lilienstein mountain and the Koenigstein fortress.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Distance from Dresden: Approximately 40 km (25 miles)
As far as city breaks go, Berlin is unrivaled. Germany’s contemporary capital city is the icon of German history, culture, and architecture. A weekend in Berlin would mean a whirlwind journey through the major attractions of Berlin, the most notable among which are the famed Brandenburg Gate, Berlin Wall memorial and Eastside Gallery, the Memorial to Murdered Jews, and the Reichstag. Do make it a point to visit at least a few of the world-famous museums in Berlin. Additionally, whether you like music, shopping, books, or are traveling with children, Berlin has something spectacular in store for you.
Distance from Dresden: Approximately 193 km (120 miles)
A weekend in Potsdam, the Versailles of Germany, translates to treating yourself to some of the most beautiful architecture in Europe, with dollops of history and greenery thrown in. The most famous attraction in Potsdam is undoubtedly the jaw-dropping Sanssouci Palace and Park, while Schloss Cecilienhof, Park Babelsberg, the Dutch Quarter, St. Nicholas Church, the New Palace, and Charlottenhof Palace invariably earn accolades from travelers.
Distance from Dresden: Approximately 204 km (127 miles)
Hop over the border to enjoy a spa weekend at Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic. Aptly referred to as the Jewel of the West Bohemian Spa Triangle, this charming town offers luxurious mineral baths and wellness options. As an added bonus, the Renaissance buildings flanking narrow canals of this delightfully green city make it a great place to explore. If you desire more activities, you can always visit a glass factory (Moser Visitor Centre) or the horse races (Hipodrom Holubek).
Distance from Dresden: Approximately 170 km (106 miles)
Don’t miss the most popular tourist destination in Czech Republic – Prague. As it is a compact city, and many of its attractions are concentrated around the Old Town, a weekend is enough time to catch the highlights of Prague – the 9th-century Prague Castle, the Astronomical Clock, Charles Bridge, the Dancing House, the National Theater, and the gothic St. Vitus Cathedral.
Distance from Dresden: Approximately 149 km (93 miles)
The super creepy but utterly fascinating Sedlec Ossuary draws hundreds of thousands of tourists to Kutná Hora, Czech Republic. The entire decoration (chandeliers, coat of arms, signatures, bells, etc.) in this small Roman Catholic chapel has been done by the artistic arrangement of human bones belonging to victims of the Black Death in the 14th century. Also in the town, you can tour an original medieval silver mine at the Czech Museum of Silver and admire the beautiful architecture and frescoes of St. Barbara’s Church.
Distance from Dresden: Approximately 213 km (132 miles)
The Ore Mountain range, stretching for 160 km along the German-Czech border, is filled to the brim with irresistible sights and activities for every taste and interest. Take your pick from the wooden toy-carving town of Seiffen, indulge in adrenaline-pumping sports in Fichtelberg, visit an ore mine, go back in history at one of the many castles in the region, or treat yourself to a spa weekend in the lap of nature at Oberwiesenthal. If you happen to visit during Christmas time, you will find yourself in the middle of a magical wonderland.
Distance from Dresden: Approximately 125 km (78 miles)
If you are enthusiastic about architecture and history, you will love your weekend in Leipzig. Time will fly as you admire the beautiful structures of the Old Stock Exchange, Panometer, Augustusplatz, Gohlis Palace, City Hall, Russian Memorial Church, Federal Court, and St. Thomas Church. For uninterrupted views over the city, head to the Monument to the Battle of the Nations (Völkerschlachtdenkmal). To add a dash of culture to your trip, take your pick among the several great museums and galleries in Leipzig.
Distance from Dresden: Approximately 120 km (75 miles)
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.