Sanssouci Park is known as the Versailles of Berlin, and is undoubtedly the top attraction of any trip to Potsdam. Just 26 kilometres (16 miles) from Berlin, Potsdam is bursting with magical palaces and landscapes, which means many people end up rushing through the Sanssouci Park and not taking time to experience it in its full glory. Here are our top tips for making the most out of a visit to the beloved summer residence of the Prussian king, Frederick the Great.
Before you do anything, take a moment to appreciate the fact that this wonderland can still be enjoyed by the public today. Sanssouci was King Frederick the Great’s private refuge, and he was against any repairs, as he imagined the palace would exist only in his lifetime. Sanssouci also survived World War II, while many of the surrounding areas crumbled.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
More Bang for Your Buck
Paying for single-entry tickets to each of the palaces in the park can really add up. Rather, opt for a pass that allows you to enter all the buildings for a sweet €19, and includes a timed slot for entering the Sanssouci Palace.
Built in 1747, this gorgeous palace has just 12 rooms. Visits to the main palace have allocated time slots; you’ll get your time slot when you buy your ticket.
If you’re short of cash, remember that it’s free to visit the palace grounds and magnificent gardens, and the gardens themselves are considered by many to be the best part of the palace. Set time to explore these magical vineyards, fountains and baroque terraces designed by Peter Joseph Lenné, Prussia’s foremost landscape gardener.
You’re not allowed to use your bicycle in the park itself, but it is a great thing to have on your trip to Potsdam, and is useful for getting to the park from the train station. Lock your bike outside the park and begin your adventure through the gardens and palaces on foot.
Rain or Shine
Each season brings its own unique charm to the park. In mid-April, the magnificent cherry blossoms can be seen, while in autumn the colours burst into red and orange splendour. Summer is green and lush and perfect for picnics. The park is best explored anywhere between May and September.
The park is open from 8am and closes when the sun goes down. Note that there are two main palaces, Sanssouci Palace and the New Palace, which are open all year round. The other buildings, however, are generally closed between November and March. During April, the park has limited opening hours, with some palaces open only at weekends.
If you want to see the palaces from the inside, note that everything is closed on Mondays. You can still enjoy the gardens.
Besides the main Sanssouci Palace, the park has a bunch of other jewels and gems that shouldn’t be overlooked. Make sure to visit the stately New Palace, the New Chambers building and the gorgeous Italianate Orangery Palace. The Chinese House is also a thing of wonder, with its ornate mix of rococo, chinoiserie and three gilded figures.
Where to Eat
The entire complex is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and recognised as ‘an outstanding example of architectural creations and landscaping’ and ‘a cultural property of exceptional quality’. After a day of taking in all this magnificence, you’ll probably work up an appetite. Enjoy an elegant meal at either Drachenhous or Movenpick Restaurant, while Cafe Eden in the southern part of the park offers more simple and affordable options. Alternatively, pack your own picnic to enjoy in the gardens.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.