Rüdesheim am Rhein is partly a UNESCO World Heritage site, is renowned as a wine making region and is one of Germany’s most visited tourist attractions. We venture into Rüdesheim’s culinary scene and recommend these 10 restaurants.
Rüdesheim’s traditional Ratsstube is situated in the old city and manages to successfully combine traditional German tavern elements and a Mediterranean flair. The charming restaurant includes a comfortable outside terrace and a newly renovated dining room, making it an ideal choice for every season. The menu comprises of Mediterranean and regional dishes with fresh and seasonal products. The Ratsstube is an all-time classic in Rüdesheim’s scenic center. The excellent service and well-prepared dishes make the Ratstube stand out among the competition of the nearby and highly popular Drosselgasse street.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ristorante da Toni
Ristorante da Toni has made a name for itself in the region in the last 10 years and is considered one of the best Italians in the city. The interior possesses a traditional Italian flair with modern accents and the bright rooms and rustic stone walls give the restaurant a particular charm. The menu includes a wide range of truly authentic dishes from crispy pizzas to savory pasta. Decent portions, a friendly service and the cordial atmosphere make da Toni the perfect place for some hearty Italian cuisine and a few bottles of wine.
In 1954 Hans and Hannelore Behrens founded the iconic Wirtshaus Hannelore, which has been in the family for three generations. The restaurant is located in Rüdesheim’s historic Drosselgasse and can only be described as one of the most traditionally German taverns in the city. The inside consists of wooden booths and rural German knick-knacks, creating a quaint and cozy atmosphere. The small menu offers a range of regional German dishes with a focus on hearty, regional meats. Wirtshaus Hannelore is the ideal choice for anyone looking to encounter an undiluted experience in a traditional German pub.
This charming restaurant has been thriving under the leadership of Manuela and Guido Rosenberger, which has earned them a range of awards over the last few years. Café Rosenberger’s scenic location on the Rhine River and its tastefully decorated, classic interior grant it a particular flair. The menu consists of regional dishes with a twist and features a brilliant selection of regional wines. Additionally the restaurant offers seasonal treats and a special candlelit dinner. The Rosenberger family delivers quality food, friendly service and a warm atmosphere and continues to gain popularity in Rüdesheim.
Gutsausschank Eibinger Zehnthof
The 500-year-old building was originally used as a town hall and for the storage of wine barrels. The restaurant is now in its third generation and serves tasty wines from its own production. The beautifully renovated building retains its historic elements and the adjoining wine cellar is a particular highlight. The kitchen offers hearty, regional dishes best accompanied by a Riesling or a fresh German beer. Eibinger Zehnthof is a landmark in Rüdesheim’s traditional restaurant scene and offers some fantastic wine tasting and a laid-back atmosphere.
Along the Rhine River and in the middle of Rüdesheim’s old city, you can find Breuer’s Schloss, an almost 300-year-old, four-star hotel, and one of the most scenic restaurants in the city. The castle is part of a UNESCO World Heritage site and its historic charm as well as quality food have made it a long-time favorite. The kitchen serves its own and regional specialties, and the wines stem from its own production, the vineyard Breuer. They are the ideal companion for the tasty dishes. The restaurant’s focus on high-quality cooking and service make it one of the most exceptional places in the region.
The historic German restaurant is situated conveniently in the old city and is part of the exceptional central hotel. Originally a domicile for the last abbot of monastery Eberbach, the restaurant now consists of four different dining rooms including a terrace. The kitchen is focused on traditional German dishes, which vary according to seasonal availability. The variety of fresh cuisine ensures a high-quality eating experience and the regional wines will satisfy even demanding tastebuds. Stieblers Rauchfang‘s ambiance is incredibly quaint and will win over its visitors with its rural German, yet sophisticated charm.
The Gasthaus Winzerkeller restaurant is considered one of the most historic and enchanting buildings in the city, which is an incredible achievement given Rüdesheim’s overwhelming selection of traditional sights. It was constructed in 1609 and now welcomes gourmets as well as wine lovers. While the quaint cellar with its high arches provides a cozy atmosphere during the colder months, the outside terrace is in no way inferior. The regional menu serves some fantastic classics and a charming service is happy to accommodate any wishes.
Hotel & Restaurant Magdalenenhof
With its beautiful Rhine setting, Rüdesheim offers some of the most stunning views in the region, yet none could be described as more charming than the Magdalenenhof. The enchanting hotel is located outside of the city center at the foot of a vineyard. Visitors will be exalted by its extensive fields and its secluded, yet inviting atmosphere. The restaurant serves a splendid breakfast and a range of regional specialities throughout the day. Wine lovers can spend the day learning about the production of the Riesling and Spaetburgunder and end the day with one of their hearty dishes as well as glass of homemade wine.
Unter den Linden
Unter den Linden immediately enchants visitors with its numerous flower pots and garden, which make it the ideal spot for a summery day. The restaurant overlooks the river and is worth the visit for its scenic views alone. Unter den Linden combines a sense of tradition with a touch of modernity while losing none of its cordial flair. The kitchen serves regional cuisine and some exceptional fish dishes while managing to retain a sense of originality. The peaceful location on the river is worth the visit alone during every season. Unter den Linden has been a true success and continues to provide traditional German ambiance and food.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.