Rüdesheim am Rhein is one of the most beautiful wine regions in Germany. Stroll among the half-timbered buildings of the old town and Drosselgasse, see castles and vineyards during a Rhine river cruise, and sip local riesling and pinot noir in Medieval settings.
See the Niederwald Monument
Walk up the stone steps of the Niederwald Monument for an up-close look at Kaiser Wilhelm I among soldiers, carved into a relief, beneath a 10m-tall (34ft) Germania figure. The statue was built between 1870 and 1880 to commemorate the unification of the German Empire after the Franco-Prussian War. It’s flanked by vineyards and sits atop a vantage point at Niederwald Park, so the peaceful setting alone is worth a visit to the monument.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Stroll along Drosselgasse
At the heart of the old town in Rüdesheim is Drosselgasse, a 144m (472ft) cobbled street lined with timber-framed buildings. It might be olde worlde in architecture, but, here, you’ll find some of the best entertainment venues in the city, from live music in taverns to restaurants serving regional dishes. Three million visitors a year flock here – partly for the Breuer’s Rüdesheim Castle (a 1,000-year-old building that’s now a restaurant and hotel) and the atmospheric Christmas Market.
Visit the wine museums at Brömserburg Castle
Brömserburg Castle is one of the oldest castles in the Middle Rhine region. It was built in the 10th century as a fortress, with vaulted ceilings and walls more than 2m (7ft) thick. These days, it contains an excellent wine museum – over 2,000 exhibits are on display – including iron grape presses, wine barrels and carts – providing a deep insight into the wine production around the verdant Rhine Valley.
Pop into the Benedictine Abbey of St Hildegard
The Abbey of St Hildegard is set among vineyards on a hill above Rüdesheim town, delivering a magnificent view over the Middle Rhine Valley. Inside, the frescoes of this Romanesque-style abbey are an equally beautiful sight. The community of nuns here lives in accordance with the rules of Saint Benedict, dedicating themselves to prayer and work. It’s not all stoicism though: they also produce their own wine – which you can buy in the gift shop alongside original art and books.
Stop by the Klunkhardshof
Behind the bustling market square is an icon of Rüdesheim: the Klunkardshof. This two-storey, half-timbered building with a gabled roof dates back to the early 16th century and was once owned by the respectable Klunkhard family. It’s a prime example of German Medieval architecture – although it’s also still a private residence, so you can only view it from outside.
Take a castle cruise on the Rhine River
A history of Medieval knights and kings lingers across the Middle Rhine Valley, in the form of 40 enchanting castles. Several of the castles can be seen around Rüdesheim during a short boat trip such as the 1.5-hour Rhine Valley Castles cruise. You’ll sail past castles such as Rheinstein, Brömserburg and Klopp, as well as Binger Bridge and the Mouse Tower of Binger Loch, among romantic pinot noir vineyards.
See the sights by cable car
If you want to take in a panorama over the valley without tackling any hills on foot, the Seilbahn Rüdesheim is the way to go. The cable car whisks you from the town centre up to the Niederwald Monument (and to the red-wine town of Assmanshausen), with an impressive panorama over the vineyards and the shimmering waters of the Rhine River. It’s also wheelchair and pushchair-accessible, so everyone can enjoy the experience.
Browse the instruments at Siegfried’s Mechanical Music Cabinet
The museum of Siegfried’s Mechanical Music Cabinet contains one of the biggest collections of self-playing instruments in the world. A stone’s throw from the Drosselgasse, this enchanting place features all sorts of musical curiosities, from fragile music boxes to the gigantic piano-orchestrion. Check out the snuff box with a musical songbird from the early 19th century, as well as Bernhard Dufner’s band of 27 automatic dolls, and the incredible mechanical violins.
Have dinner at Breuer’s Rüdesheimer Schloss
In the heart of the old town lies the four-star hotel, Breuer’s Rüdesheimer Schloss – the place to try the top cuisine and wine from this region. The monthly changing menu is focused around seasonal produce from the area, with favourite dishes including Hessian tapas, riesling-cheese soup and schloss (castle) duck. The building was first constructed by the archbishop of Mainz in 1729, and it’s now a Unesco World Heritage site. It’s the perfect setting to end a day of sightseeing in the historic town.
See birds of prey at Adlerwarte Niederwald
Combine a hike through the mountains with a visit to the Adlerwarte Niederwald observatory. It takes in vulnerable and injured birds of prey, with the aim of reintroducing them to the wild. You can usually see more than 40 species here, including eagles, falcons, vultures and owls. Join a guided tour for an insight into the behaviour of the majestic creatures. From the observatory, you can also hike to the nearby castle ruin of Rossel, or further to Johannisberg castle.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.