Konstanz’s selling point is its amazing location. It perches on the shore of one of the prettiest lakes in Germany, happens to be among the sunniest regions in the country and is a great base to explore amazing locations in Germany, Switzerland, Austria. Here is our top pick for the best day trips from Konstanz across three countries.
The island of Mainau is a short drive away from Konstanz and has enough magic to keep visitors happy for the better part of a day. In Spring-Summer, over 200 varieties of rhododendron and azalea, almost 20,000 dahlias and 30,000 rose bushes across 500 species burst into dazzling colors and aroma across the island. Alongside, there are palm, bougainvillea, hundreds of deciduous and coniferous trees, a greenhouse, sculptures, fountains and an amazing butterfly garden.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The beautiful harbor town of Lindau lapped by Lake Konstanz simply cannot be missed on a trip to Konstanz. Lindau’s two most famous sights, the 33-meter-high (108 ft) lighthouse and the six-meter-high (19.6 ft) lion, greet you as you pull into the harbor. Follow the romantic cobbled streets to the historic old town of Lindau to be enamored by the medieval merchant residences and a series of Baroque, Gothic and Renaissance architecture.
Meersburg is another jewel on the shore of Lake Konstanz that can be easily accessed by car or ferry from Konstanz. It is mainly known for the hilltop Meersburg Castle (Alte Burg), the oldest inhabited fortress-castle in the country and a museum open to public tours. Also worth checking out are the baroque New Palace and the Droste Museum dedicated to poetess Annette von Droste-Hülshoff. Take some time off to explore the romantic nooks of the town and enjoy a hearty meal by the lake.
Bregenz, a captivating town in Austria only around 1.5 hours by car from Konstanz, is best known for its massive Bregenz Festival held annually in July-August on a stage that “floats” over Lake Constance. Even at other times of the year, the town promises a bustling harbor, panoramic river views and a generous dose of culture thanks to its many awesome museums. A popular activity is to take the gondola to the Pfänder Mountain to enjoy sweeping views of the lake, the Swiss Alps and the Allgäu highlands.
The fairytale town of Lucerne is a perfectly doable day trip from Konstanz. No trip to Lucerne is complete without a lazy cruise across the unbelievably beautiful Lucerne Lake. Take the world’s steepest cogwheel railway to Mt. Pilatus, explore the medieval buildings in Lucerne old town, click pictures of the famous Chapel Bridge, visit the Lion of Lucerne – and you won’t even notice the day whizzing by.
Zurich, the commercial capital of Switzerland, is also a fascinating city to explore. A day is just enough time to catch a glimpse of the famous churches in Zurich old town, enjoy panoramic lake views, cool off in the sprawling Rieterpark and indulge in some retail therapy at the internationally famous shopping street, Bahnhofstrasse.
Titisee is one of the most popular spots in Germany’s famed Black Forest. A day here can be as lazy or active as you wish. While it’s a great idea to take a leisurely stroll around the lake, linger over a meal at one of the lakeside restaurants or simply feast your eyes on the beauty of the setting, the more active can indulge in a multitude of sports.
The picturesque town of Triberg in Black Forest is only around 105 km (65 miles) from Konstanz. A perfect day in Triberg would include hiking to the top of the gushing Triberg Waterfall – Germany’s highest waterfall, a visit to the House of 100 clocks to gape at a huge range of cuckoo clocks and digging into a slice (or more) of the legendary Black Forest cake.
Tübingen, with its cobbled streets, colorful gabled houses and a medieval heart, is straight out of the picture books. Being a university town, its streets and pubs are always buzzing with a young, vibrant energy. When in town, check out Hohentübingen Castle, the Hölderlin Tower and the Bebenhausen Monastery, and take a ride on Tübingen’s unique boat named the Stocherkahn. If you happen to be there in November, your sweet tooth is going to be grateful as this is the time for the Chocolate Festival.
Stuttgart, steeped in culture, and boasting historic architecture, snazzy automobile museums and a series of outstanding galleries and museums, certainly deserves more than a day. With only a day at your disposal, take a pick from its long list of attractions, depending on your interest. If you find yourself there in August-September, don’t miss the huge wine festival.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.