Germany’s iconic Black Forest is ideal for everyone. Not only is it an oasis of natural beauty, tranquility, and wellness options, but also offers endless fun and adventure, making it a perfect family destination. Where else but in Black Forest would children get the chance to walk the footsteps of Hansel and Gretel, visit one of the best amusement parks in Europe, go hiking, whizz down mountain slides, and witness a magnificent carnival? Read on to find out why Black Forest should be your next family getaway.
As far as family attractions go, Europa Park is unrivaled. It is Germany’s biggest and Europe’s second largest theme park, and located on the edges of Black Forest. Europa Park boasts a wide range of rides, including 13 roller coasters, for thrill-seekers of all ages. The rides, movies, castles, fairy-tale forests, and so on, are distributed across several geographical-themed areas – Germany, Austria, Italy, France, Luxembourg, Africa, etc. The park also holds a variety of theatrical, music, and dance shows and performances throughout the year. Several hotels, resorts, and restaurants are housed inside the park complex.
Europa Park, Europa-Park-Straße 2, Rust, Germany, +49 7822 776 688
The Alemannische Fasnet
What sets Black Forest carnival apart from other carnivals in Germany are the assortment of traditions, rituals, and quirks peculiar to the region. At the Alemannische Fasnet, people dress up in scary costumes and grotesque masks and parade down the streets carrying sticks, whips, fake pig bladders, and large bells to scare Winter away. Children have a blast catching the candy thrown from the parade. Remember that Black Forest carnival parades are known for their (harmless) pranks. If you are someone who might be offended at being doused in confetti or teased with a pig bladder, it’s best to stay away.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Vogelpark Steinen (Bird Park) is a destination that your kids will talk about for months afterwards. The highlight of the park is the fascinating Birds of Prey show, where trained birds await to amaze you with their tricks. A lot of other adorable creatures, like kangaroos, macaques, parakeets, and monkeys, call the Vogelpark their home. The park also has barbecue areas and playgrounds, making sure that families have a well-rounded day out.
An der L136, 79585 Steinen, +49 07627 7420
Perched at an altitude of 930 meters (3,050 ft), Schluchsee is the largest lake in Black Forest and one of the most gorgeous lakes in Germany. Other than beautiful views, boating, hiking, and sports facilities, Schluchsee scores extra points from families thanks to its Aqua Fun pool. A 105-meter long winding slide drops squealing, giggling fun-seekers into a big open-air pool right by the lake. There is also a playground and the opportunity to play volleyball and football.
Freiburger Str. 16, 79859 Schluchsee, +49 07656 7731
Steinwasen Park is a delightful theme park in Black Forest that promises a whole day of fun for the entire family. Main attractions of Steinwasen Park include bobsled run, coaster, 4D cinema, suspension bridge, indoor play areas, playgrounds, water rides, thrill rides, movies, and more. The park is also home to several species of animals, including chamois, lynx, deer, boars, and marmots.
Steinwasen 1, 79254 Oberried, +49 07602 944680
If your family enjoys tobogganing, Black Forest is waiting to spoil you rotten. It boasts not one but several thrilling coaster slopes or toboggan tracks, where families can revel in endless fun amid beautiful nature. The most popular toboggan run in Black Forest is Seewald Leisure Park, which houses South Germany’s longest toboggan run (1500 meters) along with many other fun activities for the family.
Get ready for a whole day of active family adventure and lots of thrills at Baumkronenweg Waldkirch. It’s here that you get the chance to walk the treetops along an exciting pathway while enjoying a bird’s eye view of the majestic expanse of the Black Forest and slide down Europe’s longest tubular slide! Get up and close with nature by walking barefeet on pine cones, moss, and bare earth, and cross a spine-tingling rope bridge.
Parkplatz: Erwin-Sick-Straße, 79183 Waldkirch, +49 07823 961279
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.