Dusseldorf is a very child-friendly city and it is not at all difficult to keep children happy and occupied here. Apart from a delightfully large number of playgrounds and gardens, the city also offers a host of fun attractions especially designed for little guests. What’s more, if children happen to be in Dusseldorf during the big fair, carnival or Christmas markets, they may never want to go home.
At the Aquazoo Löbbecke Museum, visitors can get up close to 560 fascinating species of aquatic animals, freshwater creatures and creatures from deserts and rainforests. Each of the 25 rooms in this museum offers exciting viewings of marine creatures and a wealth of information about the evolution, survival and diversity of sea creatures. A visit to the Aquazoo can always be complemented with some play time in Nordpark.
Kaiserswerther Str. 380 im Nordpark, 40474 Dusseldorf, +49 2118996150
Grafenberger Wald holds endless fascination for youngsters. This lush green forest is home to approximately 100 animals, including various species of deer, wild boars, wildcats, raccoons and foxes. Visitors are allowed to feed raw vegetables and apples to most of these animals. The deer are especially friendly and eat right off the hands of the visitors, drawing excited squeals from the little ones. Entry to the forest is free.
Rennbahnstraße 60, 40629 Dusseldorf, Germany, +49 211625972
Unterbacher See is Dusseldorf’s very own beach and a favourite family outing for locals, especially in the summer months. This lake with crystal-clear water is excellent for splashing, swimming, boating and water sports. The beach has a playground and a cafe selling fries, ice cream and other snacks. As the beach has a barbecue section, it is also a great place to have a picnic.
The enormous Abenteuerspielplatz is an adventure playground suitable for children between six and 14 years old, though there is a small section with a sandpit for smaller children. The park provides endless opportunities to hang, climb, jump and run, encouraging children to channel their boundless energy and cultivate their natural curiosity. Children also love getting their hands dirty at the pottery sessions and in the construction section. The park is also home to a few animals.
Brüggener Weg 8, 40547 Dusseldorf, Germany, +49 211574871
Guided Tours for Children
Dusseldorf offers guided tours around the city that are especially designed for children, and aim to present the fascinating history and culture of the city in an engaging, fun manner. The City Rally takes children (and adults) for a look at the city’s exciting architecture, while the Harbour Rally takes children to explore the harbour area. The tours are suitable for children aged between eight and 12.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Children wanting to try out rock climbing should head to Superblock or Monkeyspot. Both of these gyms offer climbing walls of varied difficulty, and are suitable for everything from first-timers to experts. Trainers are always ready to help and provide advice. Other than providing great exercise, these sessions help to improve coordination and concentration.
Superblock, Fichtenstraße 53, 40233 Dusseldorf, +49 021178882299
Monkeyspot, Schiessstraße 52, 40549, Dusseldorf, +49 021154416636
Freizeitbad Dusselstrand is a super-fun family destination in Dusseldorf. This indoor–outdoor aqua park boasts exciting water adventures, including slides, paddling pools, swimming pools, water fitness programs and games. From babies to expert swimmers, there is something fun for everyone to do. Parents can also take the opportunity to relax at the sauna.
Kettwiger Straße 50, 40233 Dusseldorf, +49 021195745700
AirHop Trampolinpark offers oodles of fun for children aged five and up. A jump session lasts 60 minutes, and owing to the popularity of the park, is best booked in advance online. There are several different kinds of trampoline, suitable for smaller and older children. They can also play dodgeball and basketball while jumping on the trampolines.
Fichtenstr. 47 – 49, 40233 Dusseldorf, +49 01801233210
Indoor Play Areas
When the weather is rainy or snowy, and the children are bouncing off the walls indoors, indoor playgrounds such as Bobbolino and Gino’s Kinderland come to the rescue. These play areas have huge climbing frames, tunnels, slides and bouncy castles that children like to spend hours exploring. For the little ones, there are smaller slides, ball pools, bobby cars and tiny carousels. Parents get to relax and grab a coffee at the bistro while keeping an eye on the children.
Bobbolino, Bochumer Str. 89, 40472 Dusseldorf, Germany, +49 21124459628
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.