Sustainability, from clothes to food, is on the rise in the German Capital due to an increased global interest in organic products and a greater awareness of one’s eco-footprint. Thanks to a shift in appreciatation for ethical fashion, in Berlin, smaller labels with a conscience are becoming more and more celebrated as stylish consumers begin to boycott throw-away fashion, embracing a more eco-friendly alternative.
Berlin is well-known for its green spaces, clean-living and organic lifestyle, but Upcycled fashion (the concept of re-using discarded pieces of cloth and fabric left over from the fashion industry) is a relatively new concept in the city’s fashion scene. Playing host to Fashion Week twice a year and priding itself for its creativity and uniqueness, Berlin is no stranger to trendsetting. Yet when it comes to a general awareness for the new trend, local Berliners have been slow to catch on.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Enter Arianna Nicoletti, the brains behind Aluc, one of the city’s first Upcycling Fashion stores. Acting at first as a concept store that brought together upcycled designers, labels and goods under one roof, Nicoletting quickly realised that the store worked better as an information point, rather than a store to buy stuff. “We built up a label called Aluc in 2010 and, at the time, our idea was to establish upcycling fashion and let people know what it is, as no one knew much about the term and we were really shocked to see the gap in knowledge,’ Arianna explains.
So, in 2015, together with Anna Perrottet from Get Changed! and Mariangeles Aguirre from HolaBerlin, Arianna established Green Fashion Tours, with the purpose of providing information. The urban tour project focuses on sustainable fashion, with the goal of educating the public on fashion’s environmental and social issues. Their unique, curated tours present an alternative option in ethical fashion and give consumers the knowledge and skills to buy and even make more responsibly. The tours have proven to be a great resource for Berlin’s many fashion schools. ‘We started the tours in 2015 and […] noticed that a lot of people who were coming along were students who wanted to know more about this topic, or even professors wanting to incorporate sustainable fashion into their fashion and design curriculum,’ says Arianna.
The tours are based on six different topics, covering upcycling and circular fashion, neighbourhood tours of hidden gems, sustainable consumption, fair fashion, as well as hands-on workshops. ‘The Berlin scene is very interested in learning new handicrafts. We have these packages which are informational and hands-on and people love them, because they don’t just want to see, they also want to experience it,’ explains Arianna. The tours work with other sustainable platforms and projects within Berlin and provide creatives and curious people with a fun yet informative way to learn about eco-fashion.
Giving back to the community
Beyond upcycling labels and stores, Berlin is also brimming with well-curated vintage and second-hand stores. Arianna explains that, ‘there is a huge audience looking for alternatives to fast fashion in Berlin,’ and some of these stores even go the extra mile for the wider community.
Since 1994, Komme & Sieh (Come & See) has been a working branch of the Berlin City Mission, helping gather and distribute clothing to people in need. With a number of different projects, this cohesive platform has a range of projects that work with second-hand clothing. Arianna, who has admired the project for some time, says, ‘they decided to open second-hand stores and create an upcycling label, and they employ refugee women and other people in need to help upcycle the clothing and materials they wouldn’t be able to sell in the stores.’ This circular economy model is rooted in sustainability, but also reflects the Berlin ethos, of giving back to the community in innovative and inspiring ways.
Sustainable fashion is also about finding ethical and socially conscious ways to produce work. Berlin’s fashion scene is embracing this trend. ‘Most of the pioneers in the field of sustainable fashion come from Berlin and the reason why is that there are a lot of fashion schools in Berlin, and of course a lot of art and opportunities,’ explains Arianna.
Perhaps one of the most interesting Berlin-based trailblazers is Folk Days, a fair fashion label for people who appreciate new ways of buying, living and enjoying fashion. Arianna, who has highlighted the project on one of the Green Fashion tours, explains that, ‘they have products from more than 20 countries. They go to various communities and look at the types of handicrafts that are disappearing because of globalisation and they try to keep them alive while designing with the locals.’ Folk Days is unique in its collaborative process: ‘It’s about starting a co-design process and at the same time keeping these crafts alive,’ says Arianna.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.