It should be no surprise that a city producing some of today’s best music is also highly politically and socially motivated. Likewise, as well as hosting art talks, poetry shows and diverse music, Berlin radio is not afraid to speak out against social injustice, deconstruct gender norms, host open political talks, and generate dialogue around contemporary cultural criticism. Here are some of the best radio stations active in Berlin now.
Searching for something brainy and delightful? Look no further. THALAMUS is not only interested in projecting groovy tunes to its audience, but it also encourages some wheel-spinning, existential, provocative ideas. So tunes are curated to penetrate musical, intellectual and emotional soul. THALAMUS’s mission is to create an all-inclusive station that confronts and eradicates all gender and social constructs, divisions and boundaries.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Transmitting to cities like London and Amsterdam, Radio On started out as pirate radio before making the move to legalise its Berlin station and stream live for 24 hours. Suffer from insomnia or have anxiety attacks at 4am? Just tune into Radio On online and listen to a perfect stranger at this Helden Der Arbeit-award-winning station.
Radio Fawela Berlin
Learn to redefine ideas of radio, Berlin and yourself with the help of Radio Fawela, a 25-year-long project with the objective to connect all the pieces of the self and selves living in Berlin. This platform allows artists and individuals to both find themselves and put themselves on the map for others to find.
A true representation of Berlin’s multicultural approach and diverse ideas and expression, ALEX is a non-commercial radio station with the goal to provide news and information that is relevant but not necessarily mainstream. Its TV, radio and internet programs serve as platforms for Berliners to express contemporary ideas and dialogues, reporting both major and minor events. Additionally, the radio broadcasts indie, rock ‘n’ roll, country, soul, surf and more. Be sure to check out the live video stream.
Carla Dal Forno
Carla Dal Forno’s radio show offers nostalgic inspiration through post-punk experimental tunes to help listeners recharge and challenge and conquer the day. There are also a nice mix of come-down tunes for those who have had too much coffee.
Tune into Radio Rixdorf (broadcasting live from Sameheads bar Tues–Sat from 2pm) for house, electro, dub, obscure club music, Brazilian beats and plenty of other genres that probably never existed beforehand. In the Neukölln area? Stop into Sameheads for some of the best music playing in Berlin.
Berliner Rundfunk 91.4
Tune into Berliner Rundfunk 91.4 (easy with a working FM radio) to hear all the classics you grew up listening to during pre-teen carpools to the movies, school or the pizza shop. Expect everything from Queen, The Strokes, Bob Dylan and (of course) Sinéad O’Connor’s ‘Nothing Compares to You’.
Whilst hip-hop, soul and funk dominate the waves in major international cities, their presence in Berlin is, unfortunately, weaker than electronic music. Stations like Backyard Radio are dedicated to promoting diverse soundscapes, and Backyard Joints is a hip-hop staple station.
As diverse as our daily moods, Laut.fm is a mixed bag in the greatest way and plays a range inclusive of German hip-hop as well as some schlager. Unlike many of Berlin’s radio stations, Laut.fm has advertisements, but it’s just a little bread and butter to pay their DJs, which we think are worth supporting.
Reboot.fm, a Berlin-based art radio station, includes artists, musicians, activists and plenty more. The collective knows that Berlin is a dynamic, multicultural city and has much to say, discuss, exaggerate and create. For a musical experience, tune in to Radio Ngoma with DJ Zhao‘s live shows (88.4) on Saturdays and Sundays, 3pm–1am, and let your work week float far behind.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.