Whether you see it as a day trip or explore it over several days, Saxon Switzerland National Park is sure to enthral you with its unique landscape.
At the Saxon Switzerland National Park, you get a chance to bond closely with untamed nature, explore ancient architecture and take selfies against the backdrop of one of the most gorgeous bridges in Germany. Here’s everything you need to know about visiting this part of the country.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Saxon Switzerland National Park, one of 16 national parks in Germany, is located in the Free State of Saxony in the eastern part of Germany. It is around 30 kilometers (18.6 miles) southeast of Dresden, the capital city of Saxony. The national park is a part of a natural area approximately 710 kilometers squared (274 square miles) in size.
How to get there and get around
The nearest airport to Saxon Switzerland National Park is Dresden, but other nearby airports include Prague and Leipzig. From each of these airports, you can catch train connections to the national park. Deutsche Bahn closely connects Saxon Switzerland National Park to the rest of Europe. Regional trains leave from Dresden approximately every 30 minutes and stop at the towns of Pirna, Obervogelgesang, Stadt Wehlen, Kurort Rathen, Königstein and Bad Schandau, which are all close to or part of the national park. An immensely enjoyable way of getting to the national park from Dresden is on a cruise boat, which gives you the opportunity to enjoy pristine nature en route. Of course, you can also choose to drive to Saxon Switzerland National Park.
The most popular ways of getting around in the national park are nostalgic paddle streamers, steam boats and diesel boats. Moreover, you can opt to take the Kirnitzsch Valley tram, that runs largely on solar energy and connects many of the points of interest in the park.
Where to stay
Many travelers see Saxon Switzerland as a day trip from Dresden. However, if you wish to explore the national park in more detail and enjoy its quiet beauty once the tour buses have left for the day, you can base yourself in Pirna, Obervogelgesang or Bad Schandau. Each of these towns has plenty of options in accommodation and gastronomy suited to all tastes and budgets.
Apparthotel Steiger, Hotel Grundmühle, Biohotel Helvetia and Parkhotel Bad Schandau are some of the popular hotels that serve as great bases to explore Saxon Switzerland National Park.
What to see and do
Bastei, an imposing rock formation, is the most famous landmark in Saxon Switzerland National Park. What adds to its uniqueness is the Bastei Bridge, which seems to have merged naturally with the craggy rocks, making for a surreal sight. Travelers are welcome to stroll along the bridge and enjoy panoramic views of large stretches of the national park. Best of all, entry is free.
Königstein Fortress Festung
When in Saxon Switzerland National Park, make sure that you visit Königstein Fortress. At this ancient fortress, you can walk the footsteps of kings and princes, and learn about the time it was used as a prison. A walk around this fortress also offers unforgettable views of the park.
Explore on foot or bike
There are numerous hiking and biking trails in Saxon Switzerland National Park. Just pick one suited to your interests and stamina and hit the road. One of the most popular hiking routes is Painter’s Way (Malerweg Route). There are several guided biking and hiking tours, as well as bike rental services in the region.
Rejuvenate and have fun in pools
Saxon Switzerland has several pools and saunas that not only offer relaxation, but hours of fun for the family. The most popular of these is ‘Toskana Therme’ (Tuscan spa), located on the banks of the River Elbe in Bad Schandau. Ambient light and sound add to the already intoxicating experience of floating in salt water.
Mariba Freizeitwelt in Neustadt, with its 1,300 square meters of warm pools, over 4,000 square meters of lawns and a 3,500 square meter sauna is a favorite haunt for families. On the other hand, Geibeltbad Pirna earns major brownie points with kids for its thrilling water slide.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.