To make your Leipzig holiday even more memorable, take your pick of these awesome weekend trip options. Whether you’d like a spa holiday in the Czech Republic or a tour of historic cities, whether you’re into architecture or gorgeous wildernesses, we have the perfect weekend getaway for you.
As far as city escapes go, it’s nearly impossible to beat Germany’s glamorous capital city. The hub of politics, culture, art, architecture and history, Berlin has something for every taste and all ages. Some of the most notable landmarks in Berlin are the Brandenburg Gate, Museum Island, Berlin War Memorial, Charlottenburg Palace, the Gendarmenmarkt square, the Reichstag, Berlin Cathedral, and the Victory Column. Berlin also has some of the best museums in Europe and some exciting activities for children.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dresden is a scintillating city that never fails to awe travelers, especially enthusiasts of architecture, art, and history. A weekend in Dresden invariably means a fascinating time exploring Dresden’s skyline, comprised of Zwinger, Dresden Castle, the Opera House, and Dresden Frauenkirche, plus enjoying sweeping river views and exploring its treasure trove of museums and galleries.
Potsdam, the Versailles of Germany, promises a weekend filled to the brim with beautiful architecture, oodles of history, and lush greenery. Though best known for its stunning Sanssouci Palace, Potsdam also has several other awesome landmarks, including Schloss Cecilienhof, Babelsburg Filmpark, St Nicholas Church, New Palace, Alexandrowka, and the Charlottenhof Palace.
Saxon Switzerland National Park
Saxon Switzerland National Park, flanking both banks of River Elbe, is famous for its epic sandstone rock formations and dense wilderness. Travelers can base themselves in one of the quaint towns (such as Pirna and Bad Schaundau) to explore this magnificent swathe of nature. The most well-known sights in the park include the Bastei Bridge, the Lilienstein mountain, and the Koenigstein Fortress.
Hugely popular among locals but often overlooked by tourists, the Ore Mountains are a perfect getaway from the bustle of city life at any time of the year. This mountain range stretches from Germany into the Czech Republic and promises mirror lakes, lofty mountains, history, mines, great museums, and endless opportunities for winter sports. Whether you go skiing in Fichtelberg, explore the wooden-toy factories in Seiffen, or celebrate a magical white Christmas in the midst of sparkling lights, a weekend in Ore Mountains is something you are not likely to forget.
Simply hop over the border to enjoy a weekend in the incredibly romantic city of Prague. The 1,100-year-old skyline of the city comprises gems such as Prague Castle, Charles Bridge, the Astronomical Clock, St Vitus Cathedral, and the Municipal House. Prague’s narrow alleys, gorgeous greenery, historic squares, and delicious food all add up to a perfect weekend. Prague can be easily explored on foot or by public transport.
The historic town of Görlitz wows travelers with its stunning skyscape composed of gothic, renaissance, and baroque architecture. A weekend is enough time to explore St Peter and Paul’s Church, St Marienthal Abbey, Fat Tower, and some of its museums with enough time left over to take a stroll along the impeccably preserved medieval town square.
For wine connoisseurs, a weekend getaway can never be more perfect than one spent in Radebeul. Viticulture has been the focal point of this town since the 1300s. Today, it is still a magnet for tourists with its lush, aromatic vineyards and opportunities for wine tasting. Schloss Wackerbarth is where most travelers head for their fill of exotic wine and scrumptious meals in the midst of stunning nature.
The green city of Hanover is home to some of the best architecture in all of Germany. You can spend a memorable weekend admiring the world-famous Herrenhausen, New Town Hall, Lower Saxony State Museum, Old Town, and Aegidienkirche, basking in nature at the Tiergarten or Eilenriede Forest, or entertaining yourself at Maschsee. In summer, travelers have the chance to join two million other fun-seekers at the Lake Festival at the Maschsee.
Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic is your best choice for a rejuvenating weekend. This gorgeous spa town not only offers luxurious mineral hot springs, but also stunning scenery and architecture. The most popular landmarks in this city include Mill Colonnade, Butterfly House, Market Colonnade, Orthodox Church of St Peter and Paul, the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, and the Diana Observation Tower.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.