Bulgaria is a backpacker’s heaven in many ways – it’s an affordable country, full of hidden gems, and versatile. But that’s not all, so check out our list of reasons why you should consider buying a ticket and heading for Bulgaria on your next backpacking trip.
If there’s a surefire sign a backpacker will like a country, it is how cheap it is. You can travel in Bulgaria for two weeks at a fraction of the price you would pay for a week-long trip in Western Europe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You will experience culture shock again
Traveling can become more and more predictable and kind of bland because you have seen every sight on the internet before really visiting it. In Bulgaria, however, you still have the chance to experience a culture shock, especially if you diverge from the main routes and head to the villages.
Its mountains are gorgeous and crisscrossed by marked tracks
Choose the Rhodopes if you like curvier, softer mountains with more forests, and Rila or Pirin if you enjoy rocky, rugged mountainous landscapes. A night at a mountain hut normally costs between four and 10 euros. While the conditions are basic and the rooms usually host from four to 15 guests, this is not something that will scare a seasoned backpacker. Take a map and a compass, or hire a guide if you are not confident about your orientating skills.
There are a few unique traditions you can watch (or join)
Has the idea of walking barefoot on living embers ever crossed your mind? In Bulgaria, this is a tradition observed every year on June 3. June is the month of the Rose Festival, while January to March is the period of the monster festivals called Kukeri. Whenever you come to Bulgaria, you have something exciting to add to your calendar.
It’s a low-cost airlines hub
Ryanair and Wizzair both fly to Bulgaria with planes landing in Sofia (the biggest number of destinations available), Plovdiv, Burgas, and Varna. Public transportation will then quickly and easily take you to numerous other destinations around the country.
The public transportation is cheap
Most parts of the country are easily accessible by public transportation and you won’t have to break the bank. Trains are the cheapest, buses are quite affordable too, and even taxis cost less than 0.50 euro per km.
The big cities are cosmopolitan
Sofia, Burgas, Plovdiv, Varna, Veliko Tarnovo, Ruse… the biggest cities of Bulgaria have cultural spaces, themed bars, and a creative crowd that shapes their modern appearance. If you ask around, you will also find sub-cultures, underground music venues, and local hobby groups.
There are unique places to stay
From wineries to clay houses and art-designed city apartments, Bulgaria is full of creative people who have built truly unique places to stay. This can turn every trip into a special experience.
It has it all – seaside, countryside, vineyards, and mountains
You can’t get bored with too much sun and too many beaches as the nearest mountain is usually less than 60 miles away. Wineries offer guided tours and wine tastings all over the country with a special note to the local grape varieties. As a whole, Bulgaria is such a versatile country, that you can have a completely different day every day.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.