If you ask Bulgarians which is their favorite mountain range in Bulgaria, many, if not most, of them would say the Rhodope Mountains. It’s not the best for hiking, but it’s the best for culture, rock phenomena, and traditional festivals. Read Culture Trip’s insider’s guide to exploring the Rhodopes.
Villages in the Rhodope Mountains
The Rhodope Mountains are home to some of the most charming traditional villages perched on ridges and tucked away in valleys. In fact, almost every village on your way deserves a bit of your time but here are some highlights. Plan a visit to Shiroka Laka village to see its specific black-and-white traditional architecture and perhaps hear some of the students of the biggest folklore music school in Bulgaria practicing.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Gela is another village famous for its annual bagpipe music contest held on the first weekend in August. Hundreds of bagpipe players gather for the festival and turn the mountain into a huge stage for the more than 20,000 visitors who have been coming to listen in recent years.
The village of Smilyan is known nationwide for its… special beans! The variety grown in Smilyan is more buttery, and its taste is different in a way that is difficult to explain. Just visit Smilyan and stop at one of the restaurants in the center of the village to try it yourself.
Skiing in the Rhodope Mountains
Skiers can enjoy the snow at one of the biggest ski resorts in Bulgaria, Pamporovo. A lift is available in Chepelare, too, where you’ll have the cozier atmosphere of a little mountain town. There’s a small ski museum in the center of Chepelare (literally, one hall) showcasing the history of Bulgarian winter sports.
Natural phenomena in the Rhodope Mountains
The Rhodopes are rich in caves and rock phenomena. The Devil’s Throat Cave (accessible with a guide) is the place where according to the legend Orpheus entered the Underworld. You will be able to see the highest cave waterfall in Bulgaria inside, at 137 feet (42 m). The Yagodina Cave is a 10-km maze of tunnels, which you reach after driving through the Buynovsko and Trigrad Gorges.
Also, don’t miss the strange and beautiful rock formations scattered around the Rhodopes – the Stone Wedding, the Stone Mushrooms, and the Wonderful Bridges.
The Rhodope Mountains were the land of the ancient Thracians, the ancient Romans and the proto-Bulgarians. Many Thracian sanctuaries, mounds, and rock-hewn tombs can be found today, as well as Roman villas and cities. Visit the Perperikon archaeological site near Kardzhali (a whole city with remains of different eras), Villa Armira (a perfectly preserved villa of an ancient Roman nobleman), or just keep an eye on the rocks along the road when you’re driving. At many places, you’ll see niches hewn into the rocks by the Thracians. Their purpose remains unknown to this day.
Cuisine of the Rhodope Mountains
It’s almost impossible to talk about regional cuisine in such a small country like Bulgaria, but if there’s one region with very distinctive food, it is the Rhodopes area. Even Bulgarians would drive for hours to enjoy a patatnik (a slowly baked potato and Bulgarian feta cheese dish) and a kachamak (a maize dish similar to Italian polenta or Romanian mamaliga).
Roads and transportation
The Rhodope Mountains take up a large area of Southern Bulgaria and have a few major roads crossing them. Some of the smaller villages are accessible through bumpy and narrow roads, especially if they are close to the Greek border or have too few inhabitants. A major highway leads to Greece (through Kardzhali and Makaza border crossings).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.