If you’re a wine lover, you’ll fall in love at first sight with Bulgaria. Its climate, soils, and topography turn it into a perfect landscape for both local and international grapes. Meanwhile, many of the wineries open their doors for visitors and offer guided tours and opportunity to spend the night among the vineyards.
Bulgarian varietals to try
Bulgaria will enchant your senses with the rich aroma of its local grape varietals, some of them impossible to find anywhere else. Try Mavrud, one of the oldest red wine grapes, indigenous to the Thrace region in Bulgaria. Dimyat and misket (a type of muscat) are other traditional grapes; pamid has been grown here since the ancient Thracians. The Shiroka Melnishka (also known as broad-leaved Melnik) red grape is typical of southwest Bulgaria. In the mid-20th century, a number of experiments attempted to create a hybrid of Shiroka Melnishka, one that would be more stable in the local climate, and that’s how the early Melnik variety was born. In northwest Bulgaria, discover the gamza grape. You can also find wines from international grape varietals such as cabernet sauvignon, chardonnay, merlot, etc.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bulgarian wineries to visit
Villa Melnik is a family winery situated in the traditional wine region of Melnik. You can join a tour of the winery or, even better, add a wine tasting to your visit – Villa Melnik’s tasting room has one of the best views in the region. They organize events and celebration of traditional holidays in the winery, such as Trifon Zarezan (Day of the Winemakers, February 14) and July Morning (a Bulgarian tradition of greeting the sun on July 1). Villa Melnik is a 2.5-hour drive south of Sofia.
You might forget many things from your trip to Bulgaria, but you will never forget the view from the top of the tower situated in the middle of the park-vineyard of Villa Yustina. You can stroll along the vines for free or join a wine tasting in the winery in Ustina village. The Rhodopes‘ mountain air is fresh and clean, so you can extend your stay here and spend the night in the village in the winery’s rental house.
Todoroff Wine & Spa
Todoroff Wine & Spa is a place where you can not only visit a winery and taste its wines but also indulge in a relaxing spa weekend, including a special wine spa. It’s in Brestovitsa village, just ten miles (15 km) from Plovdiv.
Bulgarian wine routes to follow
Melnik Wine Routes
The Melnik Region is famous for its wine production and local grape varietals, so it’s worth exploring more in depth. There’s a Melnik Wine Route Map that you can follow across the beautiful landscapes of Bulgaria’s southwest. While you’re here, don’t miss to visit the amazing natural phenomenon of the Melnik Pyramids.
Yakata Wine Routes
Yakata (or the Collar) is an area right under the Rhodope Mountains where a few wineries have joined efforts to create a wine route. You can easily spend a few days in the region enjoying a slow life – wine tastings, good food, cycling, and taking in the best nature has to offer. Villa Yustina, Kamenki, and Starata Izba Parvenetz are the three wineries that make up the route.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.