If you prefer to discover a country’s secrets with a local guide, there are many ways to do it in Bulgaria – whether that is on horseback, in a Trabi car, hiking, or tasting local wine. Here’s our pick of the best guided tours you can take in Bulgaria.
Communist Trabant Tour in Sofia
The clumsy Trabi has turned into one of the iconic cars of the Communist era, and Bulgaria was no exception – its streets used to be flooded with Trabis up to the late 1990s. This tour will take you on a two-hour ride around Sofia with a fun and knowledgeable guide, who will transport you back in time and walk you through the daily challenges of people living in Bulgaria in the 1970s and 1980s.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Vitosha Mountain hiking
The capital of Bulgaria is blessed to have a tall mountain just a 30-minute drive from its center, and many people head to Vitosha Mountain on the weekend. Most of Vitosha Mountain is protected as a natural park, and there are miles of marked paths to follow. If you are a first-timer, though, it’s better to have a guide as there are many paths that crisscross, and you might get lost. Take this tour to reach the highest peak of the mountain, Cherni Vrah (The Black Peak), and see the beautiful Boyana Waterfall on the way down.
Wine tasting in Melnik, Bulgaria’s smallest town
The area around Melnik is known as an emblematic wine region, where you can taste wines from local grape varietals (ask for the Melnik 55 and Broad-Leaved Melnik). Melnik is not only the smallest town in Bulgaria (with less than 400 inhabitants according to the latest census), but it is definitely one of the most scenic ones with its traditional houses stacked up between the Melnik Earth Pyramids that tower from all sides. The Rozhen Monastery is just a short drive away from Melnik, so this tour will take you to that sacred place.
Guided tour to the Belogradchik Rocks
There are those places that stick with you for a long time, and the Belogradchik Rocks along with the centuries-old Belogradchik Fortress perched on top of it is one of them. Take a tour northwest and see the changing colors of the strange-shaped rock formations shading from yellow to red. Just make sure to wear comfortable shoes, so you can climb the rocks for the best panoramas.
Koprivshtitsa and Starosel cultural tour
If you want to travel back in time, head to Koprivshtitsa – a small town with a hard-to-pronounce name and crooked cobblestone streets lined with 19th-century houses. Some of the buildings have been turned into museums that showcase the life of Bulgarians long ago. Nearby, one of the greatest archaeological discoveries in Bulgaria was made – the Starosel Tomb, which used to be a Thracian king’s residence, with a mausoleum and a symbolic grave of the royal person buried here.
Horseback riding near Sofia
Iskar Reservoir is a favorite weekend destination of Sofia’s residents for its kayaking, rowing, and yachting clubs and for its proximity – only an hour drive from Sofia. If you are not into water sports and still want to explore beautiful nature, why not do it on the back of a horse? This tour will take you on a three- or four-hour ride along the banks of Iskar Reservoir, where deer can be often spotted against the backdrop of hills and mountain ranges.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.