When it comes to the cuisine of any Balkan country, you will quickly see that they have much in common. Bulgarian dishes can be ordered in Serbia, Romania or Turkey, and they will sometimes differ only slightly in taste or have a different spice added. Bulgarians, like other Balkan nationalities, are mostly carnivores, and meat predominates in their cuisines. Here are some of the best meat delights you can order in Bulgaria.
Kyufte and kebapche
Kyufte and kebapche are two varieties of grilled minced meat specialties. The kyufte is round in shape, while the kebapche is similar to a sausage. Although they look similar, they have different tastes since they are prepared with different spices and ingredients that are mixed with the meat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pro tip: the most flavor-rich kyufte and kebapche are grilled on an open fire or coals, so if you see a restaurant advertising it, pull up a chair and place your order there.
Lukanka is Bulgarians’ favorite type of cured meat, which is served thinly sliced along with Bulgarian yellow cheese. Lukanka used to be mainly homemade in the past, with every family having their special recipe, but it is now more often bought at supermarkets. Similar products are pastarma, babek, sudjuk, and sushenitsa – all types of cured meat prepared with different spices.
Kavarma can be prepared with chicken or pork. The chopped meat is mixed with peppers and a lot of onions and stewed until tender. It can be ordered at most restaurants that serve Bulgarian food.
Musaka (also spelled moussaka) is another shared Balkan dish. Unlike Greek moussaka, for example, the Bulgarian version doesn’t contain eggplant but exclusively potatoes and minced meat. It will often have a layer made of eggs and yogurt on top.
While tripe soup is a nationwide favorite dish no matter the time of the day, it has a special place in the repertoire of local hangover remedies. If you see someone slurping tripe soup early in the morning, you can guess that they drank more than they could handle the previous night. The soup is served with extra garlic and spicy pepper.
Peppers stuffed with rice and minced meat
Minced meat, rice, and fresh green and red peppers make a perfect combination of flavors, especially when you cover them in Béchamel sauce or serve them with yogurt. This traditional homemade dish can be usually found on the lunch menus of restaurants.
There is a sandwich you can order at many street food counters that is called Princess (Princesa in Bulgarian). It has only three ingredients – minced meat is spread on a slice of bread and topped with yellow cheese, and then baked in the oven. This is something that many Bulgarians remember fondly from their childhood breakfasts and that they still consume with pleasure when they grow up.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.