Bulgarian cuisine is hearty, grilled or stewed, and accompanied with huge salads. In recent years many Bulgarians have been attracted by vegetarian and healthy diets, but here we take a look at an average day of eats for a typical Bulgarian.
If we turn a blind eye to the latest healthy lifestyle trends, Bulgarians traditionally start the day with fat, pastry, cheesy or deep fried breakfast. Try banitsa (baked pastry with egg and cheese filling) at any local bakery – just follow the inviting smell in the morning. Get your hands on a mekitsa (deep fried doughnut-like pastry delight usually eaten hot) for a Bulgarian homey experience. At Mekitsa & Coffee you can find both traditional mekitsa and contemporary variations that would surprise even a Bulgarian.
Skip the brunch
Eating brunch is an unknown concept for Bulgarians. When they have had their hearty breakfast, they just don’t need another meal until lunch. A few food venues have tried to serve brunch in Sofia but the prevailing reaction is raised eyebrows.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Most restaurants have a daily lunch menu offering freshly cooked food at low prices. Lunch is often eaten quickly and on the whole it is not considered an important meal. Bulgarians love salads and often eat only a salad. You might be surprised by the huge portions they are served – it is not unusual to get 0.5 kg (1.1 lbs) of salad in a huge bowl, a quantity shared by three in other parts of the world. Shopska salad comprises of tomatoes, cucumbers, fresh or baked peppers, and Bulgarian feta cheese. Ovcharska salad adds some ham and hard yellow cheese to it. Soups are also a popular choice – try the chicken soup, bean soup, and the cold summer tarator soup (made of cucumbers, yogurt, dill, and walnuts). If you search for a place to have lunch in the center of Sofia, Before&After serves traditional dishes at affordable prices.
Dinner is the main meal of the day with huge portions, long talks around the table and often soaked in a lot of alcohol. Bulgarians are heavy drinkers and it’s usually a bad idea to try to catch up on drinking. Rakia is the strong, national drink, often home-distilled using plums, apricots, pears, grapes, and other fruit. Bulgarian wine is winning international awards and offers some unique varietals to taste (ask at the restaurant for muscat, pamid, Melnik 55, and mavrud). This is the time of day to order grilled meat (kyufte, kebapche) – at SkaraBar they are true grill masters.
When you get hungry between meals or at night
As almost all over the world, the ubiquitous kebab is king in Bulgaria when it comes to a quick bite in the street. There are different kebab masters, some come from the Arab countries, while others are Turkish and prepare the kebab in a different style. You have to taste a few to find your favorite. Two of the most loved kebab and street food chains in Sofia are Mimas and Aladin. Many kebab kiosks are open 24/7 which makes them popular for a late night meal.
When you are drunk and need a relief in the morning
There are a few popular remedies for the morning after a heavy drinking night but the winner is tripe soup. You can guess that someone has drunk more than they could handle the night before if you see them eat tripe soup early in the morning. A lot of spicy pepper and garlic are a must to add.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.