Summer is a time for travelling and enjoying the sun, and you’ll need a new wardrobe to go with your next adventure. Why not choose a destination that combines both? Read Culture Trip’s guide to the cheapest and best places to go shopping in Europe.
Arguably the hottest destination in Europe at the moment, Americans interested in filling up their suitcases with authentic and beautiful clothes should head over to Portugal. Currently offering around 88 cents for a dollar, shopping in Lisbon is a great place to start. Pick up bespoke footwear to cherish forever at Sapataria do Carmo or try Lanidor for statement pieces. Read our guide to shopping in Lisbon here.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Manchester, Bristol and Edinburgh, UK…
Say a prayer for the poor UK, who haven’t seen such a weak pound in years. But British despair makes for American opportunity, and visitors should pick up a fashionable steal during their visit. London is an obvious choice, but savvy shoppers will get out of the capital and visit cities such as Manchester, Bristol and Edinburgh.
Though not famed for being a cheap getaway in the UK, Americans should make use of the great exchange to pick up a whole new ‘Scandi Chic’ wardrobe. Whether you covet dreamy minimalist culottes from Acne or want to hunt down a new and exciting bargain in Weekday, there’s an endless array of shops to choose from. Head to the trendy Södermalm area for the best places, and make sure to try a signature cardamon bun while you’re in the city. Read our guide to shopping in Stockholm here.
Latvia’s capital is a sure bet for savvy UK-based shoppers, with cheap yet achingly hip stores aplenty. Head to Miera iela (known as one of the most hipster places in the world) to find great vintage stores such as Uzvalks un Kleita. For designer pieces, try SKALA boutique in the city centre.
Whether you’re looking for bespoke perfume or designer clothing in cool concept stores, the great exchange rate means that Warsaw is a perfect place for British holidaymakers to go shopping. Browse vintage stores such as Safripsti or pick up designer pieces at Likus Concept Store.
Famous for being a dreamy summer holiday destination, Dubrovnik is a also a surprisingly good place to go shopping. For designer goods head to Maria Concept Store, while if you’re looking for something more unique to Croatia then pick up a pair of cult shoes from the brand Startas.
The Euro is cheaper than the pound, which means that if you’re flying from China then a jaunt to Paris is a must. Pick up as many designer items as you can carry home: Dior, Chanel, Fendi, Louis Vuitton… A visit to famous concept store Colette before it closes is also essential – just don’t forget to see some of the sights while you’re there! Read our fashion guide to Paris.
Estonia’s capital makes for a great and unusual place to go shopping this summer. While all the mainstream brands can be found in Tallinn’s largest department store, Kaubamaja, checking out local designers is also a must. Visit the Estonian Design House to find them all under one roof.
While it’s always been trendy, Ibiza is having a major moment. Visitors should head to Loewe’s pop-up at the Museum of Contemporary Art where the brand is selling its capsule collection, inspired by Ibiza’s legendary Paula’s Boutique.
Read our guide to shopping in Manchester here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.