There’s something utterly depressing about the realisation that the holiday season is over and the prospect of a long, cold January looms ahead. Beat the winter blues by taking yourself off for some much needed R&R, or the adventure of a lifetime, in one of these destinations where the sun shines in January.
The westernmost state of India, Gujarat is famous for its traditional handicrafts, ancient sites and for being the only home of the Asiatic Lion. Get close to nature at the Woods at Sasan hotel on the edge of the Gir Forest to get up close and personal with the local wildlife while enjoying luxury accommodation.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Caribbean coast of Mexico
Recent years have seen places like Tulum transform into top party capitals attracting a trendy it-crowd looking to escape the city and zone out for a while. The weather in January is perfect for exploring ancient ruins in the morning before lazing out on the beach in the afternoon until the party gets going at night.
One of America’s quirkiest and most iconic beach resorts, Miami boasts a unique blend of influences ranging from Art Deco to Cuban. In January the temperatures are in the low to mid twenties Celsius, which is ideal for both exploring the local architecture around the South Beach as well as getting some R&R by the pool.
Located in the Atlantic, west of Senegal, the Cape Verde is a unique blend of African and Portuguese culture which can best be explored and enjoyed through its food, music and architecture. The landscape is truly epic and you’ll be able to enjoy some spectacular hikes at this time of the year. While in the cultural capital, Mindelo, enjoy lively music clubs overlooking the azure waters.
A classic winter destination, Barbados is everything you could expect of the Caribbean: turquoise waters and idyllic white sand beaches dotted with palm trees – and luxury resorts. For a real treat stay at the Coral Reef Club, a family-run business set among 12 acres of land on the west coast of the island.
Recent years have seen change in Cuba and yet the streets of Havana still appear frozen in time, telling the tale of a country with a rich history but a rather challenging present. While January is one of the coolest months in Cuba, it makes it ideal for exploring sleepy cobbled streets and abandoned coffee plantations – although the beach will still be a pleasant option.
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town has so much to offer – stunning scenery and epic outdoor activities, a sophisticated dinning scene, outstanding museums and some impressive beaches. From January to April the weather is usually dry and in the low twenties so you can top up your tan and enjoy the cultural highlights at the same time.
St Kitts, Caribbean
The rolling green hills of St Kitts harbour colonial gems and historic landmarks, blissful beaches and some rather exclusive resorts. Ride the St Kitts Scenic Railway – once used to transport sugar cane across the island – for your chance to admire the sights from the comfort of your seat before heading to the bars and restaurants in the capital Basseterre.
Lanzarote, The Canary Islands
Widely considered to be the least spoilt of the Canary Islands, Lanzarote is a popular winter destination thanks to its fine weather, superb beaches and exceptional landscapes. A volcanic island, the scenery is like something out of this world in places but the chilled-out atmosphere on the beaches and the buzz of its restaurants and bars is comfortingly familiar.
One of the closest sunny winter destinations to Europe, Morocco is relatively cool in January for being in the northern hemisphere and yet you can expect temperatures in the low twenties most days, especially in the south. The seaside resort town of Agadir is ideal for a beach break while ancient cities such as Fes and Rabat offer endless sightseeing and history.
Divided in two between the Greeks and the Turks, Cyprus is a country steeped in history and culture. If the seaside resort of Ayia Napa is renowned for its party atmosphere and large resorts, there is a more peaceful side to the island to be explored in villages such as Kakopetria and Platres.
Ancient ruins, mystical tea plantations, idyllic beaches and the warm welcome of its people are just some of the things that make Sri Lanka such an unforgettable destination. The so-called Cultural triangle – stretching from Kandy to Anuradhapura to the north and Polonnaruwa to the east – is where you’ll find the island’s most breathtaking sights while the beaches on the south-west coast are ideal for some scenic R&R.
One of the most up-and-coming Central American destinations, Nicaragua is rich in colonial architecture in ancient cities such as Granada and Léon while the coast offers some world-famous surfing opportunities. Getting around and accommodation in Nicaragua is incredibly cheap, making it a great place for a budget adventure even if December through April is considered the high-season.
One of the most popular Asian destinations for fun-loving Millenials and middle-aged hippies alike, Thailand has so much to offer that there’s always a reason to go back. The food alone is enough to make you want to hop on a plane while the ancient temples and tropical beaches offer plenty to keep you entertained and amazed.
North-East Coast of Brazil
One of the largest regions of Brazil, it contains some of the most stunning coastline in South America with cities such as Olinda, Fortaleza and São Luís offering the best of both worlds with their inner city beaches and lively nightlife. January is prime holiday season in Brazil so expect to share the beach with locals but this only adds to the atmosphere and can be managed if you avoid the main school holiday weeks.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.